Affordable power meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I've bitten the bullet and ordered an Avio after a long chat with Shai. I'm having it factory installed as I'm told a lot of the issues come through the self or dealer installation process. Apparently the construction of the factory unit is also different, this is the info I was given -

"When we fit it, we bind the strain gauge to the crank, and then build the unit onto it. When people fit it themselves, they attach a silver shiny shim to the crank with all components inside already working and together. The strain gauge is attached to this shim."

So I'll get one on the Ultegra crank and, if results are good, I will get a second one on the dura ace crank :okay:

Thanks for everyone's input, some really useful info.

Good luck! My suggestion is to compare it to some other known sources of power. Mine is still a random number generator, despite factory fitting.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Good luck! My suggestion is to compare it to some other known sources of power. Mine is still a random number generator, despite factory fitting.

I'll pop it on the turbo bike for a few trial runs before I take it out on the road. I've got a kickr 2018 so should be fairly accurate, itll be interesting to see how they compare.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I got my crank back today, not had much of a chance to play with it yet but I've paired the PowerSense with my Karoo... Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to pop the crank on the turbo bike and see if I'm getting accurate figures from it :okay: If so I'll put it on the Bianchi and run it for a while. All being well I'll send off the Bianchi's crank to have one fitted to that too. If mine also turns out to be a random number generator I will explore other options :laugh:

I got my crank back today, not had much of a chance to play with it yet but I've paired the PowerSense with my Karoo... Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to pop the crank on the turbo bike and see if I'm getting accurate figures from it :okay: If so I'll put it on the Bianchi and run it for a while. All being well I'll send off the Bianchi's crank to have one fitted to that too. If mine also turns out to be a random number generator I will explore other options :laugh:
Touch wood, with this factory fitted PowerSense the figures seem nice and consistent and reflect my effort. On my last ton it was dropping out a bit into a strong cold head wind but a change of batteries it reading sensibly again. Im using it on an Ultegra crank arm which I had but subsequently got hold of 2nd hand dura ace so being a bike tart I may get one put on the matching dura ace arm :laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thought I'd update this thread as I've finally given up on the powersense. After initial success I ordered a second unit which was factory fitted to my dura ace crank arm. This unit never worked properly displaying various faults. Almost as soon as I'd ordered it the first unit started playing up. Both have been back and forth multiple times and tweaked or replaced and the dura ace crankarm is now looking decidedly second hand. I've decided to request a full refund for both and have just bought a gen3 stages lh ultegra power meter. Once I get the refund through I'll buy a dura ace stages crank to fit to the other bike. Its a shame they haven't sorted them as other people still seem to get on OK with them but there you go :okay:

Last edited:
Though I'd update this thread as I've finally given up on the powersense. After initial success I ordered a second unit which was factory fitted to my dura ace crank arm. This unit never worked properly displaying various faults. Almost as soon as I'd ordered it the first unit started playing up. Both have been back and forth multiple times and tweaked or replaced and the dura ace crankarm is now looking decidedly second hand. I've decided to request a full refund for both and have just bought a gen3 stages lh ultegra power meter. Once I get the refund through I'll buy a dura ace stages crank to fit to the other bike. Its a shame they haven't sorted them as other people still seem to get on OK with them but there you go :okay:
A real pity, mine has been ok since they done a factory refit last March. Ran pretty sensibly through winter which given the previous unit I wasn't hopefully of. I bought it just before I was offered 2nd hand dura ace so I'm running a dura ace crank with an ultegra left arm. I was thinking about getting another for my unused dura ace arm :-/

Top Bottom