Affordable power meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
DC Rainmaker is your friend here. Skip to the conclusions if you're not into the minutiae....

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/powerpod-depth-review.html

Make sure you know what you're buying for though!

zizou

Veteran
A clubmate has one. It's like black magic to me but seems to work alright. I dont think changing it to different bikes is quite as straight forward as advertised though as he always seems to be doing calibration rides on strava!

BePro, were my choice 2 years ago, pedal based. Working well and easy to swap bikes and calibrate. They are about to announce a new model in the coming weeks, which might my version cheaper and or the new model good value with new features. Might be worth a wait and see.

si_c

Guru
BePro, were my choice 2 years ago, pedal based. Working well and easy to swap bikes and calibrate. They are about to announce a new model in the coming weeks, which might my version cheaper and or the new model good value with new features. Might be worth a wait and see.
I'd happily go for a pedal based power meter, but they don't do SPD compatible pedals.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I'd happily go for a pedal based power meter, but they don't do SPD compatible pedals.
Time to switch to road pedals and get a pair of cleat protectors to walk around in??

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm very sure it won't work on a turbo!
Or on group rides
If you want a power meter, pedal based systems are one of a few options.
All of the pedal based systems are road derived. To use SPD pedals you need a crank based system (quarq/rotor/power2max etc) or a crank arm based system (4iiii/stages etc)

Basically, if you're serious about training with power - use hardware that actually measures your output. A wee box with a hole in it to catch wind is not doing that

Last edited:
Top Bottom