Affordable power meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The measured airflow is corrupted by the rider in front. Basic physics dictates that it cannot remain valid for that simple reason.

I think perhaps you're missing an element here, it's not just about airflow. AFAIK the Powerpod also uses your existing cadence and speed sensors and it's own acceleration and inclination sensors. When airflow (i.e. drag) is reduced due to draughting that will be a valid data stream for the overall power calculation.

BmthBloke

Regular
I was looking for a power meter this year and couldn't justify the amount of money they cost. Looking at the DCR site review it suggested that the PowerPod worked within a few percent of much more expensive units. I purchased the PP and have been very happy.

Switching between bikes is very straight forward. It uses the serial numbers of the ANT+ units to realise it's moved bike. Each bike will have it's own profile within the unit, which is viewable in the software. Very straight forward unless of course you move the ANT+ units between bikes.

The Isaac software has an option for Turbo Trainer so the unit should work on a TT. I have never used it on a TT, as I have a smart one with a powermeter, however questions posted on the PP forum suggest it does work. As an aside when you import a ride it tries to detect drafting and asks you to confirm if it took place, so these is some intelligence. Drafting/wind will effect every powermeter to either make you a cycling god or cycling gimp. The PP is wind aware and you can see whether you're in a head/tail wind from the software. You should be able to download the Isaac software and the forum has a few people posting their rides for verification when means you could look at a real ride and see what is reported and how it looks.

Another unit to look at is from ZWATT who appear to have a reasonably priced left/right power meter. They are a KickStarter effort so not 100% sure of availability etc etc, but if I was buying now, I'd look into them.

MichaelO

Veteran
I was looking for a power meter this year and couldn't justify the amount of money they cost. Looking at the DCR site review it suggested that the PowerPod worked within a few percent of much more expensive units. I purchased the PP and have been very happy.
I've been toying with a power meter for years, but have always been put off by the price. The PowerPod reads pretty well - certainly the accuracy, compared to other power meters. Very tempted.

I did my fist small test of it last weekend and the numbers were very similar to what I get on my other bike with a Stages unit. I'll be giving it a much more detailed test this weekend. The whole business of 'out and back' calibration etc takes about half an hour
otherwise setup was easy.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would be interested in getting some opinions of people on the PowerPod, especially people who have other power meters to compare against. Zwatt worries me as it is not actually very cheap as you need to pay a monthly fee for 24 months.

I would be interested in getting some opinions of people on the PowerPod, especially people who have other power meters to compare against. Zwatt worries me as it is not actually very cheap as you need to pay a monthly fee for 24 months.

I'm hardly an expert (or even an informed amateur!) on power but I'm happy to report back with a comparison to the Stages single crank (v2) that I use on the other bike. Sunday's ride will have a bit of everything, hills (lots), wind and some group riding. Should be an interesting test.

S-Express

Comparing to a Stages is not going to be a good comparison, IMO. The important issues for any PM are reliability and consistency, so I'd be more interested in how reliable the Powerpod was, and what, if any fluctuations in power it was giving over time.

Comparing to a Stages is not going to be a good comparison, IMO. The important issues for any PM are reliability and consistency, so I'd be more interested in how reliable the Powerpod was, and what, if any fluctuations in power it was giving over time.

I'll be keeping an eye on my regular sections to compare the data over time. It will be interesting to find out.

Pleased to hear it.

I'm not actually in the market for a power meter. It's just that this solution has always struck me as a neat and interesting approach - provided they can actually make it work.

I'm sure for the really serious riders they're too much of a compromise but for me I'm finding it very useful and easy to use.

I just ordered the Avio, at £149 for a fitted crank based system I could not resist. @HLaB how are you getting on with yours?
The after sales is great, I initially had a problem with the lbs fit and they fixed it ASAP. After that I found it to react exactly as per my other power meter (a Be Pro S) but seemed to be influenced more by temperature change outdoors and would start a turbo session as either 15-20w lower or 15-20w higher or exactly the same as the Be Pro S. It may be the Be Pro S that's varying (and the avio consistent). Avio didn't think that outdoors was right so they've swapped it for a fresh install. Ive only used it once since on the turbo (waiting for better weather but avoiding the turbo) and it reacted perfectly in unison with the Be Pro S but about 15-20w lower (I hope its consistent the next time I use it) and I hope its ok outdoors too.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I will have to research these Avio PM

https://www.avio.mobi/store/retrofit-service/
Code to use: PowerSenseFFS149

I am not sure how long the code will last for, it was supposed to be for Black Friday. There are two ‘items’ you can order for factory fit, only one of them will work out at £149 after the code. One hiccup for me, the app to calibrate is Android only at the moment although you can zero on a Garmin. I guess the iOS app will come when the add the Bluetooth support,which is supposed to be coming.

This is the best thread I can find so far, most peoples problems seem to be with people who self installed. https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/avio-powersense-powermeter-owner-first-impression/5905/13

Top Bottom