Affordable power meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I see it more as marketing, as clearly they don't have it right for everyone.
They definitely didn't have it right for me initially either but my last few rides have been stable after they fitted a completely new unit whereas before it was varying wildly #FingerCrossed :-/

viniga

Guru
I would be interested in getting some opinions of people on the PowerPod, especially people who have other power meters to compare against. Zwatt worries me as it is not actually very cheap as you need to pay a monthly fee for 24 months.

I used a PowerPod, in hindsight it was the wrong choice for me. It might be fine for others though and so I now have a second hand one for sale if anyone is interested:

PROS
  • Accurate power in most conditions including drafting (see below)
  • Cheap
  • Transferable between bikes
  • The data it gathers is really interesting, esp on how wind affects your ride
CONS
  • Calibration is fiddly and you need speed and cadence sensors for it to work. (If you set it up on a single bike this is a one-off)
  • If you pedal whilst going downhill power is off
  • Wind port can be blocked by rain and road crud in which case power is off
I live in the West Coast of Scotland, wanted power figures for both a road and TT bike and so I was doing a lot of calibration rides and I was only going to get good consistent power readings when it was dry...

PM me if you fancy one!

Vince

JhnBssll

Veteran
They definitely didn't have it right for me initially either but my last few rides have been stable after they fitted a completely new unit whereas before it was varying wildly #FingerCrossed :-/

Any update on your Avio experiences? I'm looking at potentially buying two units, one for each of my 'nice' road bikes. Should I hold fire?

Any update on your Avio experiences? I'm looking at potentially buying two units, one for each of my 'nice' road bikes. Should I hold fire?
The factory fitted new unit seems to be a lot more stable and gives me the power readings I would expect. My first unit was all over the place but given my new experiences I may think about getting another one for my dura ace crank. The current one is on an Ultegra crank and the bike tart in me dislikes the non match with the dura ace Crankset:laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
The factory fitted new unit seems to be a lot more stable and gives me the power readings I would expect. My first unit was all over the place but given my new experiences I may think about getting another one for my dura ace crank. The current one is on an Ultegra crank and the bike tart in me dislikes the non match with the dura ace Crankset:laugh:

Funny you should say that but I've got an R8000 and an R9100 to fit them to :laugh: So you would suggest getting them fitted by Avio rather than going down the self-install route?

I have also heard that they dont like moisture, have you used yours in the rain at all?

huwsparky

Über Member
I used a PowerPod, in hindsight it was the wrong choice for me. It might be fine for others though and so I now have a second hand one for sale if anyone is interested:

PROS
  • Accurate power in most conditions including drafting (see below)
  • Cheap
  • Transferable between bikes
  • The data it gathers is really interesting, esp on how wind affects your ride
CONS
  • Calibration is fiddly and you need speed and cadence sensors for it to work. (If you set it up on a single bike this is a one-off)
  • If you pedal whilst going downhill power is off
  • Wind port can be blocked by rain and road crud in which case power is off
I live in the West Coast of Scotland, wanted power figures for both a road and TT bike and so I was doing a lot of calibration rides and I was only going to get good consistent power readings when it was dry...

PM me if you fancy one!

Vince
You've definitely done a good sell on that! :laugh:

Funny you should say that but I've got an R8000 and an R9100 to fit them to :laugh: So you would suggest getting them fitted by Avio rather than going down the self-install route?

I have also heard that they dont like moisture, have you used yours in the rain at all?
My first install was a bike shop and that install was all over the place, superman when soft pedalling, 0w when pedalling hard. The temperature really affected it. This factory fitted unit seems to be more stable, when there's a big change in temperature it seems to zero offset faster (to read >0 and normal) and I've had none of the crazy superman numbers. Yes I would recommend factory fit its not much more if I recall and the communication with Shai seems good.
I've never been in torrential rain to cause a problem. The company started making power meters for rowing so hopefully they've got a history of getting them wet.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I still don’t have my Avio problem sorted. Avio are aware of the issue and have gone very quiet on me. I may stump up for Garmin Vector pedals so at least I can switch between bikes.

I still don’t have my Avio problem sorted. Avio are aware of the issue and have gone very quiet on me. I may stump up for Garmin Vector pedals so at least I can switch between bikes.
Not good news at all. The vectors reportly had a lot of problems too, my mate included who sent them back, hopefully being a big company they are sorted now. My leaning when I was asked about them at the time of his failure however, was to the Assimoa and, touch wood, I haven't heard of a problem about them.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Not good news at all. The vectors reportly had a lot of problems too, my mate included who sent them back, hopefully being a big company they are sorted now. My leaning when I was asked about them at the time of his failure however, was to the Assimoa and, touch wood, I haven't heard of a problem about them.

I get a very healthy discount with Garmin, so am definitely leaning that way. As I understand it, they finally fixed the battery door problem after attempt 3, it is a shame it took so long though.

huwsparky

Über Member
I'm probably going to get the Assioma's too. Don't want to risk getting the Garmin's as like you say there's known issues that you'd be 'hoping' that have been sorted. Kind of shocking that a company like Garmin have so many issues but hey ho. My G2 stages is still going strong after 3 years but running different cranks on my TT bike is forcing my hand.

@Milkfloat - the Assioma UNO's are available for £360 if purchased with the discount code through DCR's web site. I don't think I'd risk the Garmin's personally at any money.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've bitten the bullet and ordered an Avio after a long chat with Shai. I'm having it factory installed as I'm told a lot of the issues come through the self or dealer installation process. Apparently the construction of the factory unit is also different, this is the info I was given -

"When we fit it, we bind the strain gauge to the crank, and then build the unit onto it. When people fit it themselves, they attach a silver shiny shim to the crank with all components inside already working and together. The strain gauge is attached to this shim."

So I'll get one on the Ultegra crank and, if results are good, I will get a second one on the dura ace crank :okay:

Thanks for everyone's input, some really useful info.

Top Bottom