Affordable power meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.evanscycles.com/stages-shimano-105-5800-g2-EV261153

I've used these, they are very good, and don't rape your bank account too much.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
After great c.c advice I'm going for a stages system as I'm saving for the Kickr turbo. Also draughting may effect air flow on the original device.
Thanks.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's not an answer. It should work equally well in a group, in a headwind, in still conditions. How well that is, I don't know.

It's an interesting conept that I've followed since the ibike incarnation. All power meters measure output indirectly, and use a model to estimate results, whether from strain gauges or the multiple factors this measures.

I'd consider one if I had any interest in my power output, but I don't. So I won't.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Drafting someone in a group is the issue, so it is not going to work well in a group situation, for that reason.
That's still no answer. Why should it be an issue? Genuine question. Airflow is reduced and power requirement is reduced commensurately.

That's still no answer. Why should it be an issue? Genuine question. Airflow is reduced and power requirement is reduced commensurately.
It's not an issue. The power you produce ( cadence x torque ) can easily be kept constant, draught or no draught. The difference will be an increase in speed at the same power, with a draught.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can see that group riding, or headwind riding would be an issue for a similar device that modelled power output from rolling resistance, incline and speed, but not airflow.

Not that it's of any real interest to me beyond idle curiosity.

S-Express

Because the device relies on airflow to measure. If it isn't getting the airflow, it won't be measuring correctly.

U

User33236

A clubmate has one. It's like black magic to me but seems to work alright. I dont think changing it to different bikes is quite as straight forward as advertised though as he always seems to be doing calibration rides on strava!
I have one and use it across two bikes. Was a bit of a pain setting the two up but once done swap to and fro easily.

U

User33236

That's not an answer. It should work equally well in a group, in a headwind, in still conditions. How well that is, I don't know.

It's an interesting conept that I've followed since the ibike incarnation. All power meters measure output indirectly, and use a model to estimate results, whether from strain gauges or the multiple factors this measures.

I'd consider one if I had any interest in my power output, but I don't. So I won't.
I set mine up, temporarily, on my bike with a Stages PM and went for a group ride with my CC. Figures from both meters and head units were very very similar.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's very little not to understand. The device relies on changes in wind speed and air pressure to measure power - both of which will be affected if you are riding behind someone, or in a group.
And, amazingly enough, the power requirement changes in these circumstances. So the measured airflow remains valid. Just as it would for a solo rider with a tailwind. Measuring changed airflow in changed circumstances and adjusting the estimated power accordingly is the whole point.

Whether it works will depend on the models they use, but there's no fundamental reason why it shouldn't.

Top Bottom