After 22 years, I've cancelled Sky TV and I don't think I'm going to miss it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm on virginmedia for TV and broadband (also mobile phone) and I'm seriously thinking of reducing my TV package to the basic one. While reading this thread it occurred to me that I haven't even turned my TV on since Saturday. I have a complimentery sports and movies 1 year free offer at the moment which runs out in June - but with no football now, F1 being a bore (unless you suppost Mercedes) and my complete lack of interest in movies, I won't miss any of that.

On top of that I found out my neighbour gets all that and pays about 60% of what I pay - and I've been with them since they were called CableTel! Loyalty means nothing to Virgin either, its not just Sky.
Yep, we're on BT for everything and after their last price hike Maz rang em up and changed to a new package. We now get free phone calls to any Landline and (UK) Mobile all the time for however long (not just evenings and weekends and only for an hour) unlimited Broadband or less than we were paying all last year.

Sometimes it pays to ring em up and renegotiate. :becool:

keithmac

Guru
I knocked Virgin Media on the head (apart from cable broadband) and saved a fortune.

We were paying £12 pm for a phone we never used, TV was too expensive and they have the cheek to "rent" us the Tivo box.

Not missed it at all, plenty on Freeview and YouTube has loads of "proper" documentaries etc which I never really noticed before.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm on virginmedia for TV and broadband (also mobile phone) and I'm seriously thinking of reducing my TV package to the basic one. While reading this thread it occurred to me that I haven't even turned my TV on since Saturday. I have a complimentery sports and movies 1 year free offer at the moment which runs out in June - but with no football now, F1 being a bore (unless you suppost Mercedes) and my complete lack of interest in movies, I won't miss any of that.

On top of that I found out my neighbour gets all that and pays about 60% of what I pay - and I've been with them since they were called CableTel! Loyalty means nothing to Virgin either, its not just Sky.
Have you rang them up and asked to cancel?

They usually offer you a better deal which you can sometimes beat them down on, but be prepared to follow through with your threat if they don't bend too much, I did and then rejoined as a new customer saving a fair few quid.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They usually offer you a better deal which you can sometimes beat them down on, but be prepared to follow through with your threat if they don't bend too much

Sound advice.

A mate of mine was convinced getting a discount would be as simple as ringing to cancel.

That can work, but it didn't for my mate, they just actioned his cancellation.

He wasn't too bothered, but it was a shock to him.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
They are crafty sods. No prices are quoted on the virginmedia webpages, so they can offer different rates to different people. Also there is a section where you can upgrade your package but nowhere to downgrade. You have to call them to do that.
They also keep changing the names of the levels of TV packages, there are five now. The basic level gives 116 channels but looking at them I will never watch the vast majority. Wondeful channels like QVC, Forces TV, God Channel, Horse & Country, etc., all sorts of kids' channels and audio music channels. I don't think I have ever seen any of them, yet I'm paying for them. I would rather pay the same money for 20 channels that I could select myself... but of course I can't do that.
Doesn't Freeview come through a TV aerial? I don't have one any more and when I tried to get it with an indoor one the reception was terrible. The TV I have came with Freeview but I soon gave up on that.
I would like to get rid of the BBC but there's no way to disable it without giving up virginmedia altogether. I'm actually tempted to do that and use the TV as a computer monitor through the HDMI cable. As has been mentioned there are some really good Youtube videos and I watch them more than the TV now anyway.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Sound advice.

A mate of mine was convinced getting a discount would be as simple as ringing to cancel.

That can work, but it didn't for my mate, they just actioned his cancellation.

He wasn't too bothered, but it was a shock to him.
Yeah, you have to be prepared to go through with your threat to leave. I'm getting to that stage.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Cancelled sky 6 or 7 years ago. Have not missed any of it. Dont know where the money i saved has gone though. Bit like when i gave up smoking. Money still goes. But i do have more holidays these days. And spend more time in the pub.😁

Jenkins

Legendary Member
When I moved my broadband & main TV package over to BT, I kept Sky Sports but also had to have the Entertainment package of channels which, apart from Eurosport, I hardly ever watched. So when BT made the NowTV Sports pass available as part of their package, I ditched Sky completely saving around £25 per month. I've lost Eurosport, but they normally have a 1/2 price subscriprion offer to the player(around £20 for one year) at some point which I'll keep an eye open for.

postman

Legendary Member
Another one here.Only a few weeks ago as i said before.We cancelled HD channels and i told Mrs P to ditch sports channel,i and now there is no sport,how lucky anyway when this package finishes so will we.Looking forward to telling them then off we go to Freeview and a new super all singing all dancing L A R G E R telly.Greedy and no reward for loyalty it stinks.

Top Bottom