After 22 years, I've cancelled Sky TV and I don't think I'm going to miss it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have the full BT Sports channel pack which is good value at £10 a month. However, as there is no sport and no prospect of any for a good few months I've just gone online and ditched it, getting the Entertainment pack instead with all the movie channels. And at only three quid a month I've saved a few bob.

I still get BT Sport 1 and Eurosport as part of the TV pack from PlusNet, but I doubt I'll be making much use of them in the present climate.

Never had Sky TV but did have their broadband until recently, when they added another £2 to the monthly charge, taking it to about £34. I decided I'd had enough of the wee, fly additions to cost that we're not supposed to notice, so cancelled and now going with Vodafone for £20 per month.
My GF has basic Sky and it's utterly worthless. The current lack of sport must be hurting Sky badly. I can't say I have a shred of sympathy for them, and won't miss them if they go under.
yeah i started an 18month contract and several months in they added £2 a month
speeds have been ok but as soon the contract ended i moved off them. always best to move around and get the better deals.
you can get discounts if you call them and threaten to leave but they are never as good as the new deals

Skibird

Sound advice.

A mate of mine was convinced getting a discount would be as simple as ringing to cancel.

That can work, but it didn't for my mate, they just actioned his cancellation.

He wasn't too bothered, but it was a shock to him.
Yes, but then, usually, they will spend the next 30 days (you have to give this as notice) offering you better deals to get you back, which is what they did to me when I followed through with the cancellation.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've just prompted my partner that Sky needs to go this month. Started off as not too expensive, but the price has obviously gone up. Then comes Netflix, then Amazon prime and now Disney 😠

Something has to give and it's going to be Sky. Total tripe and not worth £80+ a month that they have somehow increased our bill to.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Once you take into account all the channels you can get on freeview and the channels you need to pay extra, what you end up with it's very expensive.

The BBC should be on subscription too.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
We tried Sky with their "pay once watch forever" Freesat scheme. So we paid once, then stopped feeding that beast.

8QLD4jK.jpg

Gave up the TV half a dozen years ago.

7FLLnP8.jpg

Netflix on a computer took up the slack. Now we have a one-sided correspondence with the BBC/Capita.

Attachments

• 8lSIzzb.gif
    8lSIzzb.gif
    41.7 KB · Views: 15

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
As long as you're not one of tbose people who spends all day on BBC News HYS forums moaning about the licence fee. The irony is lost on them.

Mike_P

Guru
So when BT made the NowTV Sports pass available as part of their package, I ditched Sky completely saving around £25 per month. I've lost Eurosport
Eurosport is available on BT depending what package you have, it can be cheaper to go for a bigger package than added channels onto an existing package.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Ditched SKY, iPlayer BBC etc several months ago. No live TV is available chez moi.
We filled in the 'Stuff ya TV licence' form on their website.
Netflix and some other unlive channels here. If we do want News, we can check Sky News on their app.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you have a Sky box & dish can you not get the Freesat channels without any subscription to Sky or do they lock their box so you can't?

Gunk

Guru
If you have a Sky box & dish can you not get the Freesat channels without any subscription to Sky or do they lock their box so you can't?

You can but it’s a bit clunky, you’re better off with a Humax Freesat box, works perfectly

D

Deleted member 26715

You can but it’s a bit clunky, you’re better off with a Humax Freesat box, works perfectly
I used to have a Humax, but for those that don't there are some more channels on Freesat that aren't on Freeview or at least their used to be & if they don't have an aerial.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Ditched SKY, iPlayer BBC etc several months ago. No live TV is available chez moi.
Giving up live TV wasn’t too hard, but it was funny (=ridiculous) how I then felt less plugged into the world. It was just a habit. Now it’s difficult to imagine going back to rigidly scheduled entertainments

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of_jyeDZ3Sg&t=0m7s

and of course, adverts, when venturing off the Corporation’s reservation.

Top Bottom