After a long ride .........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
jimboalee said:
After a long ride, I start the espresso machine. ( coffee, not crud blasting ).

Then I strip off to my base layer and give my bike a wipe over in the freezing cold wind.
While I'm doing this, I am consciously performing stretches ( two birds, on stone ).

When the coffee maker has finished, I sit outside and drink half the coffee.

While sat on my bench, I loop an old webbing strap round my foot ( one foot at a time ) and do a complete sciatic stretch from my cranium to my big toe, making sure I try to tuck my head between my legs. :laugh:

Then, I go inside and pour a 5g heap of salt in my left palm, moisten my tongue and lick up the salt. I gulp it down with the remains of the coffee.

Then I take a warm shower.

Your post needs video footage (Youtube) .......... otherwise you could appear slightly......eccentric :ohmy:.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Trek Trauma Chris said:
Now you tell us!. Its probably your running gait, I used to get that, side of heel hits ground first, rotates inwards, then sole of foot on the ground, up onto toes and off again. A good running shop if they have a treadmill can watch you run and suggest correct shoes or inserts, because the stress you can put on your knee by not running "square" can cause you to get a slightly bowed leg later on in life (took me 25 yrs).

Nothing wrong with my running gait thank you. I have been on a treadmill and been filmed by a supposedly 'good' running shop as you put it. The shoes they recommended 'New Balance had me in agony after the first week of running as there was little cushioning in the heel. I took them back and got a refund. Had I continued running in them I would probably have suffered a severe injury. Instead I bought what I know, a new pair of Nike Air Maxes - the running ones not the ones chavs, gangstas and pimps wear, to replace my old ones which were over 10 years old and pretty much on their last legs. If I could buy another pair of those vintage original Nike Air Max then I would be a happy runner, but alas I couldn't. But the ones I currently have are ok. I'm probably going to have to replace them in the summer/autumn as bits of the sole have broken away after only 2 - 2.5 years. But nothing is made to last these days.

Anyway there is nothing wrong with my running gait or style. It could be faster, but then I guess Usain Bolt probably feels the same as well :laugh:.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Trek Trauma Chris said:
Are you one of those "perverts" I read about:biggrin:

Do you have a penchant for reading about perverts then :laugh:? Some sensational story on page 3 of the Telegraph or headline in the Daily Mail .......:ohmy:.

I do not do formal stretches after a long day - experience tells me that for me it is sure way to induce some serious cramp or worse a muscle pull - I tend to deal with with the soreness by rest and gentle extensions while I am packing the next morning

Broadside

Guru
I have to stretch out my legs after each ride. I used to think I didn't need to until I started getting a popping sensation in my achilles when walking down the stairs. If you don't stretch the tendons out after a ride you are building up a future problem with them tightening and as you get older they naturally lose their elasticity anyway.

My stretches only take a couple of mins - I still hate doing them but I have noticed a difference in the reduction in problems so it is worth it. I have heard of too many people that didn't look after their legs and then spending 5 mins every morning stretching their achilles out trying to get themselves mobile; not where I want to be!

jimboalee

Crankarm said:
Your post needs video footage (Youtube) .......... otherwise you could appear slightly......eccentric :smile:.

The espresso is for caffeine.
The cleaning of the bike is to check it over and keep it clean.:angry:

The webbing strap around the foot is to stretch the sciatic nerve.
Everyone thinks stretching is just for the muscles. Not so. The major nerve from the brainstem, straight down the spine and down both legs needs stretching too.

Standing out in the cold is to equalise the temperatures in the deep muscles.

The salt is to replace what was lost during the ride, and...

A warm shower because scalding hot water opens the pores and the body starts sweating again.

Trek Trauma Chris

jimboalee said:
You're only jealous because you never get 'freezing cold wind' in Cornwall.

We have this year. I am about to start another thread on this very subject.

Trek Trauma Chris

Crankarm said:
Nothing wrong with my running gait thank you. I have been on a treadmill and been filmed by a supposedly 'good' running shop as you put it. The shoes they recommended 'New Balance had me in agony after the first week of running as there was little cushioning in the heel. I took them back and got a refund. Had I continued running in them I would probably have suffered a severe injury. Instead I bought what I know, a new pair of Nike Air Maxes - the running ones not the ones chavs, gangstas and pimps wear, to replace my old ones which were over 10 years old and pretty much on their last legs. If I could buy another pair of those vintage original Nike Air Max then I would be a happy runner, but alas I couldn't. But the ones I currently have are ok. I'm probably going to have to replace them in the summer/autumn as bits of the sole have broken away after only 2 - 2.5 years. But nothing is made to last these days.

Anyway there is nothing wrong with my running gait or style. It could be faster, but then I guess Usain Bolt probably feels the same as well :smile:.

We were lucky in the Midlands, in that an ex Olympic marathon runner opened a sports shop and was able to check over the gaits of runners, but she always told me (and I do not think it was to sell shoes) that anyone running 50+ miles per week, will need to replace their shoes in 6 months.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Trek Trauma Chris said:
We were lucky in the Midlands, in that an ex Olympic marathon runner opened a sports shop and was able to check over the gaits of runners, but she always told me (and I do not think it was to sell shoes) that anyone running 50+ miles per week, will need to replace their shoes in 6 months.

No sh1t ............. :angry:.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm probably going to have to replace them in the summer/autumn as bits of the sole have broken away after only 2 - 2.5 years.

Cranks - with the mileage you're doing you need to replace your running trainers every few weeks. A good running trainer is only designed for 300-400 miles. Approximately 600 for the best ones.

Top Bottom