After a long ride .........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
........ who massages/stretches their leg muscles?

I have found a long thin muscle on the outside of the lower leg, adjacent to the calf muscle, between it and the bone, subsequently becomes quite painful if I don't regularly massage it after a long ride, before I turn in at night and then again when I awake in the morning. It only takes 5-10 mins of massaging for each leg to make such a difference.

Anyone else's body falling apart?

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I dont but in the summer if one pespires a lot after a longer than normal commute I cramp up REAL bad, but even then I dont manage to stretch :tongue:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't specifically stretch after every ride, but if I'm hanging around waiting for someone I'm likely to stretch the muscles or if they are starting to get tight.

zacklaws

Guru
After a long ride, I have a hot shower, then I hold the shower head pointing downwards, turn the cold on full blast and starting with my toes work the water gradually all the way up to the top of my legs concentrating on my muscles and depending on time constraints give it at least 5 minutes minimum up to 20 minutes.

I read about cyclist's and athletes taking ice cold baths after exercising, I think it may have been Paula Radcliffe that started the trend, but thats too harsh for me so I adapted to using the shower. If you just take your time as you slowly work up your legs, within a couple of minutes you don't even feel the cold water so it becomes bearable, its just the sudden shock initially. But when you get out you feel good.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/Ice-Bath.htm

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I stretch my legs after every commute and any ride longer than 10 mile.

i do it because i have a history with my knees and the ligaments behind them which inflame and cause amazing amounts of pain if i'm not careful. takes me 10 - 20 mins to fully stretch.

Trek Trauma Chris

Crankarm said:
........ who massages/stretches their leg muscles?

I have found a long thin muscle on the outside of the lower leg, adjacent to the calf muscle, between it and the bone, subsequently becomes quite painful if I don't regularly massage it after a long ride, before I turn in at night and then again when I awake in the morning. It only takes 5-10 mins of massaging for each leg to make such a difference.

Anyone else's body falling apart?

Fibularis Longus or Extensor Digitorum Longus. I warm up and stretch before any exercise and cool down and stretch after. I also have massage every week. Check your bike and cleat set up something may have altered ever so slightly and is causing slight stress on your legs.

trio25

Über Member
I am trying to make the effort to stretch more as it is noticeable when I don't!

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Trek Trauma Chris said:
Fibularis Longus or Extensor Digitorum Longus. I warm up and stretch before any exercise and cool down and stretch after. I also have massage every week. Check your bike and cleat set up something may have altered ever so slightly and is causing slight stress on your legs.

I think it is more the mileage I am cycling maybe about 220-250 miles a week at present, which is set to increase as it gets warmer, plus running 6-7 miles a day, 5 out of 7 days ..........

Globalti

Legendary Member
It is amazing isn't it how a gentle massage makes pain more bearable. It releases endorphins, you see.

Trek Trauma Chris

Crankarm said:
I think it is more the mileage I am cycling maybe about 220-250 miles a week at present, which is set to increase as it gets warmer, plus running 6-7 miles a day, 5 out of 7 days ..........

Now you tell us!. Its probably your running gait, I used to get that, side of heel hits ground first, rotates inwards, then sole of foot on the ground, up onto toes and off again. A good running shop if they have a treadmill can watch you run and suggest correct shoes or inserts, because the stress you can put on your knee by not running "square" can cause you to get a slightly bowed leg later on in life (took me 25 yrs).

Trek Trauma Chris

Globalti said:
It is amazing isn't it how a gentle massage makes pain more bearable. It releases endorphins, you see.

Yes, but a proper massage is even better and worth every penny. Muscles are like a "ball of wool" flowing straight/curved lines all in order. When you exercise they end up like the same ball of wool but after a cat has played with it for a couple of hours, tangled, knotted and out of shape. Massage puts them back in shape.

jimboalee

After a long ride, I start the espresso machine. ( coffee, not crud blasting ).

Then I strip off to my base layer and give my bike a wipe over in the freezing cold wind.
While I'm doing this, I am consciously performing stretches ( two birds, on stone ).

When the coffee maker has finished, I sit outside and drink half the coffee.

While sat on my bench, I loop an old webbing strap round my foot ( one foot at a time ) and do a complete sciatic stretch from my cranium to my big toe, making sure I try to tuck my head between my legs. :smile:

Then, I go inside and pour a 5g heap of salt in my left palm, moisten my tongue and lick up the salt. I gulp it down with the remains of the coffee.

Then I take a warm shower.

Trek Trauma Chris

jimboalee said:
After a long ride, I start the espresso machine. ( coffee, not crud blasting ).

Then I strip off to my base layer and give my bike a wipe over in the freezing cold wind.
While I'm doing this, I am consciously performing stretches ( two birds, on stone ).

When the coffee maker has finished, I sit outside and drink half the coffee.

While sat on my bench, I loop an old webbing strap round my foot ( one foot at a time ) and do a complete sciatic stretch from my cranium to my big toe, making sure I try to tuck my head between my legs. :sad:

Then, I go inside and pour a 5g heap of salt in my left palm, moisten my tongue and lick up the salt. I gulp it down with the remains of the coffee.

Then I take a warm shower.

Are you one of those "perverts" I read about:biggrin:

Top Bottom