After how many miles should you replace your tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
My current set of Kenda Kriteriums are starting to rack up some serious mileage, they've done over 1500 miles now. I was checking them yesterday and I can't see any visible signs of wear but I was wondering is there a point at which you should replace your tyres even if they don't appear worn?

Heigue'r

Veteran
I got 1400 miles out of a set of pr3 giant tyres and then it was like they fell off a cliff...flatted out pretty rapidly and started getting punctures every few days having had none in 1400 miles.Some tyres have an indicator on them...when this is gone,time for new

Tin Pot

Guru
IMG_9093.JPG
Here's the holes in question, I've probably done about 2000km, complete guess, in two years on these.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Having said that although I can't see any wear on the surface of the tyre, there are two strange line/cracks on the bottom of the sidewalls, one on each tyre. I can't tell if they are wear or something else. I have attached a picture, hopefully someone will be able to help me identity what they are.
DSCN9050.JPG

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
After 8,134 miles.

Or when you start to get frequent punctures if you don't have a mileometer on your bike.

FWIW my Conti Gatorskins will easily last over 10k but they are obviously tougher tyres and I don't ride them hard.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Thats a crack, and it needs binning.
Thanks, good to know

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
[QUOTE 4939216, member: 9609"]as long as you renew the air in them every 465 miles they should be fine. (remember to renew the air on a dry day, no point in having heavy damp air in your tyres)[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say a dry day because it will shorten the life of your inner tubes. Ideally you want very cold damp so as not to rust the valves, I do it about 6am on a frosty morning but of course if you can't make the effort to do it properly within a few paces of an open freezer door is probably sufficient as well.

pclay

Veteran
Schwalbe Durano are generally good for about 5000 miles. You cannot tell if a tyre needs replacing based on mileage, as this will depend on the tyre.

In general, a tyre will need replacing if:

1, you start to get frequent punctures and/or
2, the tyre is visibly worn (the threads are showing through) and/or
3, the tyre is damaged and/or
4, the wear indicators have gone.

Top Bottom