aftermarket chainset to replace 10 spd 105 5700 model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I greased my chainset bolts and nuts today for the first time in an attempt to resolve a creak, I thought it was the bottom bracket, but evidently it was not. Taking the opportunity to properly clean the inner chainring I noticed both rings were past their best, not sure it is economical to replace both rings, IIRC the last ring cost me over £30 to swap out, so fulll chainset it is.

Luckily there is no chain skipping yet so I'll keep running them a bit longer, in the meantime I was wondering what chainset to buy to replace the 105 5700 model when the time comes. The new 4700 is 10 speed, but doesn't fit the colour scheme (yuck, grey!), any suggestions for an after market chainset to match my my 105 parts? The 5700 chainset is quite pricy now, presumably retailers are hiking the price as it is now out of production.

A quick poke around wiggle didn't come up any obvious aftermarket 10spd chainsets, thoughts?

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Check with Spa or SJS.

S-Express

I greased my chainset bolts and nuts today for the first time in an attempt to resolve a creak, I thought it was the bottom bracket, but evidently it was not. Taking the opportunity to properly clean the inner chainring I noticed both rings were past their best, not sure it is economical to replace both rings, IIRC the last ring cost me over £30 to swap out, so fulll chainset it is.

Luckily there is no chain skipping yet so I'll keep running them a bit longer, in the meantime I was wondering what chainset to buy to replace the 105 5700 model when the time comes. The new 4700 is 10 speed, but doesn't fit the colour scheme (yucky grey!), any suggestions for an after market chainset to match my my 105 parts? The 5700 chainset is quite pricy now, presumably retailers are hiking the price as it is now out of production.

A quick poke around wiggle didn't come up any obvious aftermarket 10spd chainsets, thoughts?

Should be possible to replace the rings with Stronglight or TA compatible for less than £40 for the pair. Seems a bit daft to buy a whole new chainset simply because the rings are worn.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@S-Express , makes sense in that case, and is the more environmentally friendly option. The 4700 chainset can be had for about £60. My current chainset is pretty worn, it started black but is so worn, it's mostly silver now... hence the idea to just replace the whole thing.

I'll be a good boy and get the aftermarket rings then. :angel:

Last edited:

Luckily there is no chain skipping yet so I'll keep running them a bit longer, in the meantime I was wondering what chainset to buy to replace the 105 5700 model when the time comes. The new 4700 is 10 speed, but doesn't fit the colour scheme (yuck, grey!), any suggestions for an after market chainset to match my my 105 parts? The 5700 chainset is quite pricy now, presumably retailers are hiking the price as it is now out of production.

There is no chain skipping because worn chainrings don't skip. Let's see a photo of those rings.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
WTF is "aftermarket"?

Aftermarket as 'the market for spare parts, accessories, and components for motor vehicles.', A word borrowed from another industry. In this context it means non-stock components.

There is no chain skipping because worn chainrings don't skip. Let's see a photo of those rings.

@Yellow Saddle Is slipping a better word? It is odd because I fitted a new chain after posting in this thread, the old chain showed .75% wear with my X-tools wear thingy. Now there's a definite slipping and clunking when in the little ring whilst out on my commute into work this morning, had to grind up hills in the outer ring. Pretty sure I put the inner ring back on the right way around too. Will send pictures tonight and fit the old chain to see if it improves.

Last edited:
Aftermarket as 'the market for spare parts, accessories, and components for motor vehicles.', A word borrowed from another industry. In this context it means non-stock components.

Is slipping a better word? It odd because I fitted a new chain after posting in this thread, the old chain showed .75% wear with my X-tools wear thingy. Now there's a definite slipping and clunking when in the little ring whilst out on my commute into work this morning, had to grind up hills in the outer ring. Pretty sure I put the inner ring back on the right way around too. Will send pictures tonight and fit the old chain to see if it improves.

I'll wait for the pictures before I comment.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I was thinking more along that lines that two new rings would cost me £60, but those TA/Stronglight components are reasonable, so no reason to replace the crank arms now, aside from aesthetics.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@Yellow Saddle

Inner Ring:
w6kk2Ra.jpg

Outer:
qQlnlUs.jpg

Top Bottom