Against my better judgement I come here for sensible advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavieB

MIA
Tell me your idea, and Ill help

Shaun

Founder
Tell me what the idea is and I'll tell you if it's any good or not ... <gets pen and paper ready and finds address of patent office ... ;) >

Seriously though, I think it costs a reasonable sum to patent something, and you have to be very, very specific to define what you're patenting.

I take it is a physical thing - something that someone you use?

Is it a completely unique idea, or is it an update / improvement to an existing thing?

Just trying to flesh-out what it is - generally speaking - so that others can chip-in based on their experience / expertise.

Cheers,
Shaun

PS. It's not a cycling forum is it? ... lol

DavieB

MIA
there must be some sort of uk inventors forum you could check out with faqs on this sort of stuff. I cant help you but that seems like a good idea.

U

User169

Check out the websites of the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents and the Intellectual Property Office. Both have plenty of good advice for inventors and CIPA runs clinics for inventors where you can get some advice for free.

montage

God Almighty
[QUOTE 1130444"]
It's to reduce mistakes in hospitals. It's a physical thing, cheap to produce I guess, but it's the quantity used that will be the money spinner.
[/quote]

Is it to replace all NHS staff with Umpa Lumpas?

bauldbairn

Check out the websites of the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents and the Intellectual Property Office. Both have plenty of good advice for inventors and CIPA runs clinics for inventors where you can get some advice for free.

+1, :thumbsup:

I agree - you'd have to have pretty bulletproof plans(remember the flawed widget - that was modded and made the modder a fortune), prototypes and type testing cost time and money.

Good luck Maggot! B)

mark barker

Don't tell anyone any details of the "invention", including friends and family. This is the biggest problem with patent applications (quite often a patent is granted then revoked because competitors find evidence of careless chat in the pub etc).

If you're at the stage that you've convinced yourself that there is a market for the product then its worth doing a search on the IPO website patent search You'll need to run loads of searches as the software that does the matching isn't great! Lots of keywords will be your friend.

If you're still thinking you've got a runner then its worth taking professional advice. Avoid the solicitor types, they'll get you a patent but theres a good chance it'll be completely useless. I'd recommend Trevor Baylis Brands as a good starting point. They've got lawyers and business advisors all in one place and can help protect you idea and market it if required, and they'll be honest with you, not just telling you what you want to hear!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look mate, the bicycle has already been invented.............

Or is it the 'rocket up the bum' that most folk need ? :tongue:

Maggot,

I work in hospital and myself and a colleague had an idea. We now have two patents have a Scottish Enterprise proof of concept project nearly complete and we are looking for investment to possibly spin a company out, so you could say I have some experience with this!

The group who helped us are very Scotland specific (Scottis Health Innovations Limited - SHIL). However, there is likely to be an equivalent group where you are who help people in the NHS with innovative ideas.

PM me with details of where you are and where you work and I'll see if I can find out the right people for you to contact. Don't whatever you do, tell anyone else your idea yet!!

Just to add Maggot, if your idea is related to your work (which it sounds like it is) then the NHS has some ownership of the idea. This isn't as bad as it sounds as there are mechanisms in place to reward the inventors if it does make money, (the NHS will take a cut of course!) and they should provide support to take it forward.

Top Bottom