Age and technical ability.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree with the premise of the OP.

I think that lack of Meccano experience amongst the young has some bearing on the situation.

And the way that toys have sort of changed from real things to screen based activities.

But I also think that bikes themselves have become a bit more complicated. Not in terms of how they basically work, but in terms of the number of different sizes of rims, bearings, and components that are available. It seems to me to be a bit of a minefield, compared to, say, when I was a kid and my dad had a pushbike to go to and from work.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I agree with the premise of the OP.

I think that lack of Meccano experience amongst the young has some bearing on the situation.

And the way that toys have sort of changed from real things to screen based activities.

But I also think that bikes themselves have become a bit more complicated. Not in terms of how they basically work, but in terms of the number of different sizes of rims, bearings, and components that are available. It seems to me to be a bit of a minefield, compared to, say, when I was a kid and my dad had a pushbike to go to and from work.
Yes and no. Children really have changed from practical to virtual activities in many respects, however for those who are interested in the practical stuff there really isn't a huge difference between modern and older standards. If you are interested it is always worth learning the differences!

tyred

Legendary Member

I would actually say older bikes are more difficult to work on than their modern day counterparts. A derailleur is easier to set up than it is to overhaul an SA hub. Wheel removal is child's play on a derailleur geared bike with cable brakes, not something that can be said about a traditional roadster with rod brakes, SA hub, full chaincase and possibly dynohub wiring to contend with. Also, older British bikes often had no locknuts on the bearing cones so you had to be careful how you put wheels back in or risk buggering up the bearings. Rod brakes are easy to maintain once they are set up but are a pain in the arse to set up in the first place, and if you take the wheel out, you need to start again. It will usually be easier to take a square taper crank of than try to coax out a bent and rusted cotter pin. Cartridge BBs are easier to work on than cup and cone.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
[quote="Salad Dodger, post: 1851664, member: 8278

But I also think that bikes themselves have become a bit more complicated. Not in terms of how they basically work, but in terms of the number of different sizes of rims, bearings, and components that are available. It seems to me to be a bit of a minefield, compared to, say, when I was a kid and my dad had a pushbike to go to and from work.[/quote]

I think your LBS likes you to think that things have become a 'bit more complicated' and 'technical', anyway.

Top Bottom