Age and technical ability.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TBF, i think you've missed the fact that OP said in his final line...
'I am sure, no certain that many of those lacking basic mechanical skills have others that I do not possess.'

I think he made that point quite deliberately. Its merely an observation about peoples apparent lack of mechanical skills.
Has that ever been any different ?..were 'our' generation any better ? i know i was, but were my friends and peers..actually, i don't know for sure.
Ah, so the yoof have to learn and master all the new skills life throws up and also take clocks apart to put them back together!^_^

Poor kids!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Years ago in general people probably had more free time and less money and now (maybe less so currently) people have more money and less free time. People used to mend broken things more than they would now, tear your clothes now and theyre out for the bin, rather than sewing them up until theyre more repairs than original, then using the fabric as dusters/cloths - or at least i remember that from being a young child (31 now).

In an unneeded defense of people asking for help on here, that (and youtube) is how ive learnt how to do basic maintenence/repairs. :smile: Theres a lot of people who cycle who dont do anything to maintain the bike until something goes wrong with it and it gets taken to a bike shop or replaced, as per any other modern disposable product ;)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Why is it supposed only the young ones ask bike know- how questions?
I never had a bike when I was young, hence did not know how to pump up my tires when I started commuting by bike :blush:

Night Train

Maker of Things
depends on your skillset i think.
I think this is an oft missed aspect of people being lead into further education. Not all are going to be academic enough for book learning and research for something at Masters or Doctorate level. Some, like myself, have great mechanical skills and couldn't research an academic subject with any real ability or result.

Granted many young people can hack software and do amazing things with IT and media but equally many can't and sometimes struggle to find a suitable outlet to expand their skills and make best use of their potential.

I studied Mech Eng the practical way with oily hands. Now, at college, mechanical is mostly Cad drawing and programming and the machining is either done by a technician or a 5 axis mill with a USB port.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I can only do minor maintenance and changes to my bike. I have no real knowledge of the parts or how to take them apart. I am always scared that I will break something which I wont have the money to pay for.
My local club is thinking about a bike maintenance course for people on a variety of things.

Would anyone be interested in a bike mechanics session at marsh tracks? Covering basic stuff at first, and working up from there. After suggesting the idea to Alan O. and Justin, they are happy to support it, and we just need to see if enough people are interested. It would probably have to be a Monday evening.
I'm sure that many of you are proficient bike mechanics already, but I bet some, like me, are pretty clueless or just not that confident. The format needs working out according to what people want, but it's likely to be a semi structured informal session, possibly themed week by week, eg brakes, gears, headsets, dealing with punctures effectively, etc etc. There would be a small charge/contribution which would go towards marsh tracks.
Hands up who's interested?
From here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/150741451658028/353364254729079/?notif_t=group_activity

Holdsworth

Über Member
I'm 20 and manage to somehow break everything when trying to fix something on the bike, without fail :blush:

I've stripped too many threads and frayed too many cables to care any more!

At least I've tried though ^_^

Face it. You lot have had your day, time to turn over to a new generation you helped bring up.
Except for one thing ....... I have NEVER had to call up offspring for anything more than a lift somewhere.

By contrast - offspring and ex regularly phone me up to sort out (over the phone, no less!) mechanical/fuel/tyre problems on their motorbikes or cars. :whistle:

Or needing directions when their GPS is "playing up". :cursing:

Dan B

Disengaged member
change three pin plug
I can't remember when I last bought an appliance that didn't come with a moulded plug pre-fitted. Is it even still legal to sell things with bare ends?

subaqua

What’s the point
I can't remember when I last bought an appliance that didn't come with a moulded plug pre-fitted. Is it even still legal to sell things with bare ends?

dunno about the legalities but when things come with a euro plug its safer to take off and put a plug o than rely on a dodgy adaptor .

OOI what bit of changing a 3 pin plug do people find difficult? is it knowing where the colours go? length of cable , how to strip the cable ?

EDIT
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1768/contents/made it is illegal to sell without a plug, but it does not need to be a moulded plug.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
The common theme that runs through here is that, regardless of your age or level of technical ability, most people admit that their skills were passed along from someone; either a parent, sibling or friend.

People gravitate toward forums, such as Cycle Chat, because they know that they will find like-minded and, one assumes, knowledgable people, who are willing to give advice. In a way, that's no different to asking your dad / brother / mate to show you how to fix something - the only difference is that we now have a channel that lets people do that on a much wider scale. It's social learning and, if nothing else, is a great way of making sure that these skills are shared and preserved.

Equally, let's not forget, that for the majority, the role of the bicycle has changed. For many (but, I accept, not for all) the bicycle is a more recreational item than it was for previous generations; go back a few decades and for many, it was primary trasnport. As I say, there are a great many who do not fall into this category - and as someone who recently put the car up for sale because I cycle or walk everywhere - I count myself in this number. But, if you need to be able to fix your bike to get to work, you have a lot more incentive to be able to fix it yourself than someone, who uses it for recreation / fitness.

Having said this, I do honestly beleive that everyone who slings a leg over their bike should have the basic mechanical skills to keep it rolling - especially when they find themselves 40 miles from home and wondering how to fix a basic mechanical failure. But, if those who don't know want to learn then I certainly don't mind helping - even if that help is offered through a keyboard, rather than over a cup of tea in their shed.

RaRa

As someone from a slightly younger generation (30's) I regularly take on diy jobs at home that many of my friends wouldn't dream of trying so I count myself as fairly handy. When it comes to my bikes I have a fear of screwing things up which means I haven't even tried - it's been off to the LBS or I don't ride. I keep my fingers crossed on long rides and keep a phone handy for a lift if the worst happens.

I do know this isn't ideal especially as my long term aim is to tackle some very long rides so I've recently decided to grab the bull by the spiky things and get hold of a cheap bike or old frame and build my own. I'm fairly sure I'll be needing to come back here for help/silly questions but hopefully people won't mind too much and I'll appreciate every post.

oldroadman

Veteran
Take a view on this - if someone else can do it so can you. You may need to find out how - using the thing we are all accessing this forum with - but it will be there to find. As for some of the (minority) monkeys in some LBS and bigger chains, they may have a certificate but should be near a toy scooter, and certainly not at the hourly rates charged. Strange how replacement parts needs seem to grow once the bike is in a "professional" workshop....

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
There needs to be an interest first or at least an incentive...try teaching anything to anyone that has neither of these things and it's tough going. Even if you have both of these things there needs to be access and opportunity...people mention tools make a fair point.

What I would say is the education system isn't geared up to generating interest or satisfying curiosity. The more we've remade it in a 'colour by numbers' format the worse this has become.

This is us doing this not the kids, they'll respond as kids always have, if you generate genuine interest/incentive then their speed of learning and capacity is astonishing. One of our problems is our inability to understand why things that are interesting to us aren't interesting to other generations.

tyred

Legendary Member
One of our problems is our inability to understand why things that are interesting to us aren't interesting to other generations.

You mean youngsters aren't interested in listening to Showaddywaddy LPs?:ohmy: Whatever is the world coming to?:wacko:

Top Bottom