"Age appropriate items" at self service tills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I bought two DVD's earlier at Asda on the Isle of Dogs ("Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom ", since you ask), and had to wait ages for somebody to come and verify that I was old enough to purchase them. Classification - U, "Suitable for all".

It's not just Asda that do this, it's also happened in my local Sainburys, and in Waitrose too.

If the supermarkets are able to flag items to be checked to ensure that the purchaser is entitled to buy them, surely it's not beyond them to have a flag on the item inventory tables that states the classification and overrides the requirement to check the purchaser's age, if the classification is "suitable for all"?

Or is that completely stupid, in this age of hoverboards and colour televisions?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
All the system will have is product, price, image and a flag if it's age restricted... many DVDs can be so all are flagged as such. I reckon in the long run, the current system is simpler than flagging individual DVD titles as 12, 12A, 15, 18, U.

I try not to use self service anyhoo :whistle:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I recall needing an OK to buy a pallette knife - the sort you use to smear jam onto a sponge cake. Knives are 18+ items. Strangely ebay UK somewhat restrict knife sales too - was after a dive knife and looking fo wusthoff kitchen knives rather than being a Rambo obsessive by the way

Brandane

Legendary Member
I try not to use self service anyhoo :whistle:
I wish they would introduce them in our local Morrisons! It would save me queuing for half an hour at the ridiculously understaffed "staffed" tills. It doesn't matter how quiet the shop is, they seem to have it down to a fine art to ensure the check out queues are stupidly long.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I wish they would introduce them in our local Morrisons! It would save me queuing for half an hour at the ridiculously understaffed "staffed" tills. It doesn't matter how quiet the shop is, they seem to have it down to a fine art to ensure the check out queues are stupidly long.
they have them at my local morrisons... coupled with no one on the till. Since i usually buy beer or wine (as well as food), I wait for god knows how long for a member of staff to notice the red flashing light and half-heartedly saunter over. I tend to shop at Tesco instead, the staff are far more attentive in Tesco.

U

User32269

I deliberately use self-service checkout for all alcohol purchases, in the vain hope that once, just once, a staff member will ask me for proof of being over 21. I am a very sad man.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I deliberately use self-service checkout for all alcohol purchases, in the vain hope that once, just once, a staff member will ask me for proof of being over 21. I am a very sad man.

I had a bit of a spin on that in Waitrose; I got six Becks Blue and took them to the till, only to be told by the girl at the checkout that she couldn't serve them to me.

Sadly, this was not because I looked so elfin, but because she herself was under 18, so she had to get the manager over to authorize the purchase.

Thing is, though, they were Beck's Blue... less than 0.05% ABV. She could sell me a sherry trifle, but not alcohol-free lager, despite the fact that the trifle would have more chance of getting me p!ssed.

Bonkers.

SD1

Never have that problem in mine. Other way round. Likely to be a store manager problem. Complain although not certain that would have any effect.​

SD1

I had a bit of a spin on that in Waitrose; I got six Becks Blue and took them to the till, only to be told by the girl at the checkout that she couldn't serve them to me.

Sadly, this was not because I looked so elfin, but because she herself was under 18, so she had to get the manager over to authorize the purchase.

Thing is, though, they were Beck's Blue... less than 0.05% ABV. She could sell me a sherry trifle, but not alcohol-free lager, despite the fact that the trifle would have more chance of getting me p!ssed.

Bonkers.
Serves you right.
1/ alcohol free
2/ lager
Jail sentence in my opinion.

There was a guy in Leeds caught (after many, many months, iirc) - he'd weigh his alcohol purchases, key in that they were "brown onions", and pay the price requested ........ for brown onions.

U

User32269

There was a guy in Leeds caught (after many, many months, iirc) - he'd weigh his alcohol purchases, key in that they were "brown onions", and pay the price requested ........ for brown onions.
Leeds? We would never dream of that sort of thing in Liverpool...

Reactions: SD1
Top Bottom