Air-bag instead of helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
This looks like quite a good idea, on paper. Certainly got to be an improvement on the current choices, although personally it makes no difference to me as I firmly believe that cycling (or to be more specific, MY type of cycling) is a low risk activity.
At least someone has finally come out and admitted that cycling helmets "just don't work that well", and that "traditional plastic and foam brain buckets allow g-forces that lead to fatalities in an alarmingly high percentage of accidents".

Sharky

Guru
Link does not work in the UK?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Link does not work in the UK?
Ah, sorry but I'm posting from France - on Kindle not PC so no idea how to fix that :sad:. Basically it's a band you wear around your neck which senses when your head is about to make contact with something it's not supposed to. The band inflates into an airbag which surrounds the head. Link is from BBC so seems strange it doesn't work in the UK! (Perhaps because it is dated June 2014 :sad:).

Last edited:
They are having a farkin laugh

BBC Worldwide (International Site)
We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee. It is run commercially by BBC Worldwide, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the BBC, the profits made from it go back to BBC programme-makers to help fund great new BBC programmes. You can find out more about BBC Worldwide and its digital activities at www.bbcworldwide.com.

sidevalve

Über Member
Be afraid - be very afraid. Some similar sort of stupidity [air bags on bikes] was advocated for m/cycles by the boffins in Brussels not that long ago and it hasn't really gone away even now.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Done to death on here a number of times before...
As has people saying things have been done to death on here before. Yet, as one who is a reasonably regular visitor to this site, I hadn't seen it mentioned before.
That said, I don't read every post on every board. I have better things to do, despite the fact that I don't command top dollar wages in a high powered job in the health sector. Allegedly.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
You didn't think to search for Hovding using the forum search? It would have shown four threads about it...

As for me having time... I can multitask - whereas you seem to struggle with the basics.
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but you appear to be unarmed.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This looks like quite a good idea, on paper. Certainly got to be an improvement on the current choices, although personally it makes no difference to me as I firmly believe that cycling (or to be more specific, MY type of cycling) is a low risk activity.
At least someone has finally come out and admitted that cycling helmets "just don't work that well", and that "traditional plastic and foam brain buckets allow g-forces that lead to fatalities in an alarmingly high percentage of accidents".

Very expensive though, at £250. And when it does go off, even if only by accident, it can't be reset and you need to get a new one.

GC

Licramite

Über Member

So not wearing a helmet wil reduce the G forces will it?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
So not wearing a helmet wil reduce the G forces will it?
No. But wearing the current type of widely available fashion accessory cum helmet won't help much, according to the above. In any case, cycling is not dangerous, so it is all a bit of a moot point.

Licramite

Über Member
is not much better than non at all?

and should it not be Cycling is no More dangerous than any other activity involving travelling along public roads without the advantages motor vehicles have in safety devices.

if there was no danger we wouldn't need helmets or any protective clothing and people wouldn't die on the roads - but people including cyclists Do die on the roads so there is an element of danger - nes pa?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
if there was no danger we wouldn't need helmets or any protective clothing and people wouldn't die on the roads - but people including cyclists Do die on the roads so there is an element of danger - nes pa?
We don't, and helmets don't prevent that (I refer you to the 14 pages of threads on the subject, each one a riveting read if you have a few days to spare).
IMHO, having weighed up the protection afforded by standard cycle helmets (low) versus risk factor involved (low), I have made the not very monumental decision not to wear one. If others prefer to wear one, that is fine. I only get peed off when some of them get all preachy; which they do!
Oh and it's "n'est-ce pas?" BTW, since I'm in France just now :okay:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom