Air Fryer cooking time question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That was my suspicion, but open to explanations to the contrary

An air fryer is essentially a very small oven.

This gives the benefits of faster warm up time - lower volume of air to heat - and slightly lower running costs for the same reason.

But the notion it somehow produces nicer or better food is just nonsense.

Another problem with air fryers is most won't take the average casserole or oven proof dishes which we all use.

Baking trays, being full width, are also a no-no.

My brother has a reasonable solution in the shape of a double full width oven.

The top one is only about six inches deep, but still full width, so has some of the heat up and running cost advantages of an air fryer while still taking pretty much any ovenproof tray or dish.

Seevio

Guru
What is the difference if any between an "air fryer" and the normal oven?
Short answer is the fan. A normal oven works by heating the air which then flows around the food by convection. An air fryer blow hot air around the food with a comparatively large fan. An air fryer is somewhat similar to a fan oven but relies much more on the movement of air to cook the food.

In my experience, air fryers tend to favour foods which have a crispier finish, although just about anything which would normally be baked will work.

An air fryer is absolutely not a replacement for an oven but it can take over a lot of it's duties.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Short answer is the fan. A normal oven works by heating the air which then flows around the food by convection. An air fryer blow hot air around the food with a comparatively large fan. An air fryer is somewhat similar to a fan oven but relies much more on the movement of air to cook the food.

In my experience, air fryers tend to favour foods which have a crispier finish, although just about anything which would normally be baked will work.

An air fryer is absolutely not a replacement for an oven but it can take over a lot of it's duties.

So it's, in essence, a (small) fan oven but with a fiercer fan.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sausages don't cook great in an air fryer. they come out rather anaemic looking.
Not in ours

20230617_182334.jpg

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Bit of a "godsend" to me now I am cooking for one.
Virtually no heat up and its quick ie the fish n chips I did was less than 20 mins but I reckon 15 will do it.
Humour me while I post photo again😀
20230616_165259.jpg

BTW....I enjoy a fish finger butty. Start to finish was 10 minutes. Put the fingers in and by the time I buttered the barm they were ready.

gbb

Legendary Member
What is the difference if any between an "air fryer" and the normal oven?

Marketing.

That was my suspicion, but open to explanations to the contrary

An air fryer is much smaller than a conventional oven and has better air flow than a fan oven. This means it uses less energy and is quicker than a conventional oven.
The downside is that being smaller if you are cooking for a number of people you may be better off with a conventional oven rather than doing batches in the air fryer.
In the same way a fan oven cooks quicker (and more evenly) than a conventional oven, an airfryer is simply using that same method, just minaturising it to a convenience appliance.Take away the trivet in the base, it won't work as well, it's just heated air movement around the food, it's as simple as that..,and very effective imo.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The other advantage us no need to preheat. Pizza cooks in 4 mins.

My only problem with AFs is remembering to clean them afterwards.
See? ...remnants of last night's chips.
1000003025.jpg

Top Bottom