Air horns for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
If you can see a motorist who obviously hasn't seen you, it's far better to slow down than to use a horn. The motorist might not hear the horn and may continue, and you'd be dead or injured. Speeding into a situation and relying on a horn is, in my view, suicidal.

Relying on a horn rather than on brakes is false security.

Most handlebar layouts make it a choice between braking effectively or horning.

This is what I was getting at in my post. Ian and GC explained it better.

In a SMIDSY situation with someone pulling out on you, if I apply the brakes and stop I have taken control of the situation, and have ensured my own safety. I'd much rather this than continue my set course and pace relying on the motorist to hear (and yield to) my horn just because it's my "right of way".

Edwards80

Über Member
I can't see a situation where the horn would make more sense than braking/shouting. You can shout/brake at the same time.

As for pedestrians stepping out, "look out" is far less threatening than a horn or shouting what you actually want to say :S

The problem with ArseZound™ is that mine would be constantly parping whenever I got over a certain speed downhill :sad:

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Obviously anyone with any brains isn't going to use a horn instead of your brakes to avoid a car!

In my experience, if I was ever going to use it to warn a motorist of my presence, I was always better off just slowing down and making sure he couldn't hit me. I don't trust drivers an inch, and even if they did hear my horn, they could run me over if I was going too fast to make an emergency stop. Far better to forget warnings and go through the conflict point in a way that can't possibly get you killed.

The only way to be totally safe is to assume drivers are complete morons, and deaf and blind. Air horns don't work on such people.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I always used to fit a pair of loud Fiamm horns on my motorbikes but you need something loud at motorway speeds - I remember them saving me when a dozy driver began moving into my lane one dark night on the M1.... poor bloke must have pooped his pants judging by the way he swerved back left.

Nothing wrong with shouting on a bicycle though, or a polite tinkle on a bell at lower speeds.

Crankarm

Guru
I probably use my Airzound 3 or 4 times maybe more on my ride home from work. Strangely seldom on the way in. There are so many dozy people walking with headphones on following their mobile phones, students on bikes and muppets in cars. I reckon it's saved me a good few times from being flattened (yet again) by a car. Of course there are the to$$ers who even ignore it on full volume like the stupid b***h who came steaming out the Milton Arms car park in her huge 4x4 straight across a busy cycle with me and other cyclists scattering, riding across it onto the main Milton Road without so much as a single glance left or right or slowing down. The first thing I do before setting out for home when work has finished is to make sure my Airzound is fully primed and ready. A bell is useless against a rabid Stagewoach driver in charge of a double decker bus.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I should have mentioned that the mobile phone users sometimes have those ear pieces in, so a bell wouldn't attract their attention.
I noticed on the TdF highlights when Thomas Voeckler was decending at about 43mph yesterday that he had a narrow miss with some people who had strayed into the road.:ohmy:

In my experience, if I was ever going to use it to warn a motorist of my presence, I was always better off just slowing down and making sure he couldn't hit me. I don't trust drivers an inch, and even if they did hear my horn, they could run me over if I was going too fast to make an emergency stop. Far better to forget warnings and go through the conflict point in a way that can't possibly get you killed.

The only way to be totally safe is to assume drivers are complete morons, and deaf and blind. Air horns don't work on such people.

The point being missed is that the two are NOT mutually exclusive.

I admire your absolute conviction in your ability to achieve total safety. In my limited experience, I may be able to reduce risk, but I cannot be totally safe, even when buttering toast or tying my bootlaces.

You mention elsewhere that you are a 'cycling advocate'. Do you mention to those to whom you offer this advocacy that they can be totally safe?

You also mention elsewhere that your spouse is a car owner and driver. Is she aware that you don't trust her an inch and assume her type are complete morons?

I love the idea that you have a system of riding that gets you through a situation in a way that can't possibly get you killed. I hope and trust that you are not teaching such beliefs to the young and vulnerable.

If indeed you have managed to achieve a method of riding that is totally safe and can't possibly get you killed, I have some wonderful investment opportunities I'd like to discuss with you.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've got a Poundland horn - they're more than loud enough to make wayward pedestrians jump!

Crankarm

Guru
I used my Airzound twice today coming home from work. First was crossing on a controlled crossing green man and cycle showing so red to road traffic. Car steaming up to red light. they are leaving braking a bit late ........... me 2/3 of way across almost in front of their path, pips still sounding and green man still illuminated. F*ck the car is NOT gooing to stop ...........have they not seen me in front of them or the red lights. Time to hit the Airsoun hard!!!!! Car locked up almost skidding to a halt as the ABS kicked in stopping about 2 foot into the pedestrian area. Phewwww! Fat woman driver texting car Vauxhall Corsa 60 plate. She blanked me inspite of coming close to smudging me out. Praise be to Airzound.

Second incident was reserved for a dog and owner attached to each otherby a huge long line. Lethal!

Chris S

Legendary Member
What is this Poundland horn of which you speak ?
One identical to this - also available from all scuzzy retailers:
BulbHorn.jpg

sunnyjim

Most handlebar layouts make it a choice between braking effectively or horning. Now, if I could come up with a suitable Airzound button mount for my arse then the automatic buttock-clenching motion in times of imminent danger would activate it while leaving both hands free to steer and brake. I'm off to the shed to get fettling...

GC

They're not going to believe that in A&E

Top Bottom