Air horns for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Horns are for use against cars, not pedestrians (in my opinion) - And even with cars I am yet to come across a situation where a horn would be more effective in helping to avoid a collision than using my brakes.
I tend to agree with your first point, although if you've made a mistake and the pedestrian has made a mistake it may save an actual collision of you parp, but normally you'll be hard on the brakes and unable to reach!

I've used an Air Zound since 2005 and I ride mostly in the countryside, but on three occasions I can recall the horn has woken up a sleeping motorist about to cross my path against priority. On one occasion an opportune blast has stopped a dog, hackles up, snarling and heading at speed for me. They are VERY loud. Too loud to be using frequently if you value your own hearing.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
One identical to this - also available from all scuzzy retailers:
BulbHorn.jpg
Parp on MacDuff !
Thanks for that but I won't be adorning my road bike with one...I might get one for trying to get the kids' attention though...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If you can see a motorist who obviously hasn't seen you, it's far better to slow down than to use a horn.

No.

There is nothing wrong with an audible warning in that situation provided it is done early enough and as part of a planned approach to the hazard.

GC

lulubel

Über Member
On one occasion an opportune blast has stopped a dog, hackles up, snarling and heading at speed for me. They are VERY loud. Too loud to be using frequently if you value your own hearing.

Now, that's a use I hadn't thought of. I feel even more inclined to get one now.

Bearing in mind I live in Spain, and loudness is accepted and normal here (ie not considered rude), I think it would make my cycle rides at least more entertaining, if not safer. And I'm sure, even in the UK, most people would consider it less rude than shouting f***ing w***er at everyone who cuts you up, which is what I usually do.

HovR

Über Member
I tend to agree with your first point, although if you've made a mistake and the pedestrian has made a mistake it may save an actual collision of you parp, but normally you'll be hard on the brakes and unable to reach!

[...] On one occasion an opportune blast has stopped a dog, hackles up, snarling and heading at speed for me. They are VERY loud. Too loud to be using frequently if you value your own hearing.

The bold is the issue that I've always had with bike horns. I think to be able to brake effectively and sound a horn there would need to be some sort of switch integrated with the brake lever.

Also, having just yesterday been chased down a hill by two vicious dogs above 25mph, I can see that this is something they may be useful for!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Refitted mine recently.
If you're in the depths of sudden and imminent danger, of course you're going to hit the brakes and sod the horn. However as has been said it's there to alert others to your presence, not to be used in anger.
Where I think the issue comes is in thinking you use it against drivers or against pedestrians.
You don't use it against anyone
I like to cycle some country back lanes. I run them too, with the dog. I'll run down the middle with the dog off the lead and listen for cars.......
You see the problem?
If I'm on the bike and see a dog walker in front I'll give a very short blip from a couple of hundred yards away. Makes them aware of my presence and gives them plenty of time to get fido under control.

byegad

Legendary Member
Well I have one on my QNT which sits under my hand when on the brake, very useful. However a recumbent trike has many advantages and that's only one. Upright riders will have more trouble being able to use it and brake, hence my comment.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJUhTHA4o0&feature=g-upl

A few times I have needed to use mine in the past.

EDIT: I am going to do a new one with my helmet cam soon.

Top Bottom