Air Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goffins

Does anyone find that the recent change in air pressure has had a detremental effect on their cycling.

Apart form the obviously horrendous winds this week, I've also noticed my perceived effort has increased dramatically, I think my heart rate is roughly 5bpm + over its norm and I'm having to stop for a breather when I get to work. {It feels 50% more difficult for an identical journey}

I seem to be struggling to get enough oxygen into my lungs, my mouth tends to be wider to compensate and I can feel myself grimacing when usually I'm singing along to my music.

Cheers,

jimboalee

Blue

Legendary Member
I agree that it has been too windy of late. However, every cloud has a silver lining and mine has been that I seem to be getting a tailwind on the homeward stretch each day. :smile:

dodgy

What do you mean by change in air pressure? It's gone up, down? What?

Not sure if I follow you tbh.

OP
OP
G

Goffins

dodgy said:
What do you mean by change in air pressure? It's gone up, down? What?

Not sure if I follow you tbh.

Well there was a sweeping area of low pressure over much of England which was apparently causing most of the strong winds.

I've actually found the answer myself with alot of trawling, turns out riding in low pressure is much like Altitude training hence the perceived extra effort I've been feeling.

This was the most informative passage I found regarding the subject and means I'm not going mental:-
The most common confusion about high altitude training is the availability of adequate oxygen. Oxygen is usually measured in percentages. For example, the air we breathe is 20.93% oxygen, 0.03% carbon dioxide, and 79.04% nitrogen. These relative values are the same at all altitudes. However, as one ascends in altitude, the air pressure (barometric pressure) changes significantly.
The result of reduced pressure is painfully obvious to the athlete. As the blood passes the alveoli in the lungs to receive its usual supply of oxygen, there is insufficient pressure exerted for the usual exchange. Under these conditions, the blood does not become as saturated with oxygen as it might at sea level. The same condition holds true when the blood passes by the muscle cell. The exchange of oxygen is diminished because there is not enough pressure to force the exchange. The athlete simply becomes inefficient at exchanging blood gases at altitude.

ASC1951

Guru
Goffins said:
I've actually found the answer myself with alot of trawling, turns out riding in low pressure is much like Altitude training hence the perceived extra effort I've been feeling.

This was the most informative passage I found regarding the subject and means I'm not going mental:-
Sorry, I don't think you can rely on that. The recent low pressure areas are all around the 1000 mb level, i.e. about the same as UK winter high pressure areas.

It is perfectly true that altitude reduces oxygen uptake, but that's when you get over about 3500m. It's not going to have any detectable effect on someone pedalling around England, even in a summer low.

Your increased effort is just because it's been windy, that's all.

jimboalee

Its psycological.

You are expecting the riding to be more difficult against a headwind, so that's how is seems.

Accept the fact you are going to ride slower against the wind, compensate by leaving earlier and all will be OK.

ASC1951

Guru
14.6 psi at ground level, 4.3 psi at the top of Everest.

Don't open the windows on Easyjet, even if it is stuffy.

Top Bottom