Air Zound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BentMikey said:
Posting against an AirZound based on aggressiveness or inability to use whilst braking is to me like posting how those with video cameras go around "looking for trouble".

It's nothing to do with the ability to use an airzound whilst braking, although certainly do think that in an emergency your concentration should be fully focused on stopping avoiding a situation rather than hitting a horn, (remembering that from the time you have hit the horn there is a significant reaction time from the driver to react, i.e. normal reaction time, time to see where the noise is coming from and then time to actually do something about it).

However, MY main reason is because I know that I would be tempted to use it inappropriately. I don't want to and it would just be another stick for the 'magnatom haters' to hit me with.

All of my previous post was stated as my opinion. Anyone who follows that advices is making their own decision.

Coco

I've got an AirZound but use it infrequently. Mostly to get stupid pigeons out of my way when cycling through parks, or getting security to open the vehicle entrance at work.

I don't use it as much on cars as I thought I would, because it is (well I think it is) a very loud and sometimes agressive noise.

If you do get one, make sure you don't lean on it when putting your bike in the shed :becool:

I took mine off after a few weeks. For one it's easy to make you trigger happy. But mainly because I found that if I didn't pump it up regularly, then when I got to a time when its use was justifiable it wasn't pressurised enough to be effective.

I still find that there are very few situations where a good shout isn't sufficient.

Just thinking about the airzound tonight.Great piece of kit but biggest disadvantage is it didn't really work when I needed it.I normally forgot to refill it.

At least my 12v horn combo on one bike is effective and reliable as is the 6v set on the other bike.Just charging the battery for my next 7 commutes and I reckon it will last 7 commutes.

According to the instructions supplies with it, one full charge of air @80 psi would be sufficient for one ten-second blast.
I still have a bell for warning peds, and my voice of course, the 'Zound is, as suggested by another poster, for situations where you are being squeezed/forced off the road and the caged-in feckwit seems to have forgotten you exist.

I wouldn't fit it back on now with the setup I have got but the one advantage over my setup up is that the airzound is very light.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think they are pretty useful, but I am not cluttering the bike up any more than lights. I can be very loud...have lifted a driver off their seat (literally) with a loud 'OI' shouted through the window.

fossyant said:
I think they are pretty useful, but I am not cluttering the bike up any more than lights. I can be very loud...have lifted a driver off their seat (literally) with a loud 'OI' shouted through the window.

Trouble is in the heat of the moment I may be liable to swear so at least with my horn(s) im more likely to keep my gob shut.;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Besides which, drivers are much more likely to pay attention to an airhorn than some w@nk*r shouting (which is probably how they will initially perceive us).

thomas

the tank engine
http://www.airzound.co.uk/

Has demos and things.

I have taken my airzound off, only because I'm back at UNI and don't really need it. If I was commuting daily it would be back on.

I can yell, loudly and have no problem doing that...but at times it can be nice just to use it, even if trigger happy, to be sure someone is aware of you.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
hackbike 666 said:
At least my 12v horn combo on one bike is effective and reliable as is the 6v set on the other bike.Just charging the battery for my next 7 commutes and I reckon it will last 7 commutes.

I do like your horn setup!