Air Zound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
I have one and can certainly recommend it but with a few reservations:

1. Not advisable to use it on pedestrians as they tend to freeze on the spot rather than get out of your way. IMHO it is too loud and just isn't a very friendly thingto use in this manner.

2. It's quicker to shout than use the Zound so mine only gets used in rare circumstances - but then I have, out of necessity, developed a particularly loud cyclist's bellow. :cheers:

3. They aren't that robust. I must be on my fifth or sixth by now. The plastic invariable cracks and the tubing can also perish over time.

4. You do have to keep pumping them up - and remember to do so! I did spot a tricycle taxi-bike in London whose owner had swapped the standard air container for one of those large plastic 2L bottles. Didn't ask how much better it was but clearly this is an option if you want more air!

On a positive note, it is useful to be able to indicate your displeasure when some prat passes too close or cuts you up. Using a Zound can be a somewhat more neutral way of doing so than the stream of expletive laden invective which I'm afraid I have been occasionally known to direct at errant motorists. :laugh:

I do believe that, used in a "Watch out I'm on the road too" kind of warning to a motorist who may not have noticed you, it is as effective as the car horn which its sound resembles.

thomas

the tank engine
Tinuts said:
3. They aren't that robust. I must be on my fifth or sixth by now. The plastic invariable cracks and the tubing can also perish over time.

4. You do have to keep pumping them up - and remember to do so! I did spot a tricycle taxi-bike in London whose owner had swapped the standard air container for one of those large plastic 2L bottles. Didn't ask how much better it was but clearly this is an option if you want more air!

blooming heck! I've had mine for over a year now and it's still fine!!

I've heard that you can swap them over. I don't have room for a 2l bottle though...and don't want to break it :laugh:

A certain top cyclist on here swapped the bottles over as well.Mine lasted quite a time but as you say I generally forgot to refill mine.

Jezston

Über Member
So I bought an Airzound yesterday!

However, I'm having a problem with it, in that it doesn't work. I'm suspecting I may just have a dud, but thought I should run the symptoms by the experienced here in case I'm missing something obvious.

Have it all attached, correctly I believe (instructions are on the minimal side, but doesn't appear to be much I could have done wrong). However, pumping it up doesn't seem to be doing anything - I attach my schraeder pump, pump it up a while, take the pump off, press the button - nothing.

Took it round a friends who has a car pump which has a pressure meter on it - after pumping up my tires to confirm it was working, we stuck it in the airzound and on one pump the meter shot up to the top, and wouldn't pump any more. Upon removing the cable, and pressing the button - nothing.

I'm suspecting the valve is faulty and the pressure reading I'm getting is just for the the tube from the pump!

Or am I possibly missing something?

orienteer

My first one developed a leak in the tubing. I repaired it by cutting the tube and rejoining it with a short length of tube cut from the end of a ball point pen refill. Tight enough fit not to come apart when pressurised.

The instructions say one fill (to 80psi) should provide 30 half-second blasts, surely enough for a normal journey!

BentMikey said:
LOL! Yeah, it's slightly embarassing when I bump the airzound button by accident.

Modified the horn buttons tonight.Two fitted like last time gives me a bit more of a target to aim for but they aren't as sensitive.I like the 12v horn setup I could swear they are louder than the 6v set.Very effective as well.:biggrin:

rusky

CC Addict
Jezston said:
So I bought an Airzound yesterday!

However, I'm having a problem with it, in that it doesn't work. I'm suspecting I may just have a dud, but thought I should run the symptoms by the experienced here in case I'm missing something obvious.

Have it all attached, correctly I believe (instructions are on the minimal side, but doesn't appear to be much I could have done wrong). However, pumping it up doesn't seem to be doing anything - I attach my schraeder pump, pump it up a while, take the pump off, press the button - nothing.

Took it round a friends who has a car pump which has a pressure meter on it - after pumping up my tires to confirm it was working, we stuck it in the airzound and on one pump the meter shot up to the top, and wouldn't pump any more. Upon removing the cable, and pressing the button - nothing.

I'm suspecting the valve is faulty and the pressure reading I'm getting is just for the the tube from the pump!

Or am I possibly missing something?

A mate had the same problem. He returned it & got a replacement that works fine.

Jezston

Über Member
So after my bike got nicked, along with my Airzound, I have been given a new one.

And this one is also faulty ;)

Managed to get the last one fixed - chap at the shop I bought it from said it was a common problem and fixed it on the spot, however I won't be able to get to that shop again until the weekend after next, and he said he couldn't really describe the solution over the phone. Gah!

Guess this is more of a rant than a request for advice, but if anyone does know how to fix them please let me know!

thomas

the tank engine
Jezston said:
Guess this is more of a rant than a request for advice, but if anyone does know how to fix them please let me know!

well, what's broken? Maybe take that grey cover off and tighten the cap underneath?

I've never needed to fix mine though.

I though mine was bu66ered when I got it, then I realised you have to have the 'volume control' valve fully open to fill the bottle, as the air path is the same as when it's in use, just in reverse. If memory serves, the little valve control tab has an arrow-head on it to show which way round it is, and this should be pointing forwards (same way as the open bellmouth of the horn) so you can charge/use it.
I use mine very sparingly, only if someone has been an especially talented feckwit. When I worked at a cement works many years ago I often needed to attract attention by whislting, so learned to whistle loudly without the old two-fingers-in-the-mouth routine as they were invariably filthy (my fingers that is).:wacko:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm considering getting one of these, but where to put it on the bike? i got overside handle bars for about an inch and a bit, and then they go kinda aero flat for the palms and then the drops come in.

I've seen on there website it's possible to mount in the drops, but i like to use my drops and wouldn't be able to cover my brakes whilst on them...
airzound_on_drop.jpg

So before i buy.. how have other roadies with oversized drop handle bars mounted theres?

Attachments

• airzound_on_drop.jpg
    airzound_on_drop.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 47

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Just a pity you can't customise them to say varying different messages depending on the circumstances.

Things such as

*BEEP! SHOULD'VE GONE TO SPECSAVERS!!*

I'll get me coat.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
I have one on my recumbent although I haven't used it in anger yet. My problem, and I suspect some others', is that I cant activate the horn and pull the brake lever at the same time. I've attempted to rig up a remote switch using an old gear lever and some cable but it needs considerable fettling yet.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Someone on BROL made a remote setup that looked quite good.

There's not much point in having an airzound if you can't brake and beep at the same time, IMO.