Airbnb question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My wife and daughter are thinking of going on a trip to NY as a treat for my daughter's 21st birthday. Hotel prices are eye-watering so we looked at Airbnb. To book a place they want credit card details and a scan of their passports.

Is that a normal request, and does it leave them open to ID fraud and all the rest of that paranoia stuff (to which I am not a subscriber, incidentally)? What do you reckon? Thanks.

AndyRM

XOXO
Hm. That does seem a bit OTT, but all my Air BnB bookings have been in Europe which I think is generally a bit less paranoid than our chums over the pond. A passport scan seems reasonable so they know it's not someone trying to get in illegally, but credit card details would give me pause.

I'll ask a friend who may have more experience and does it herself in The People's Fighting Republic of Canadia.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hm. That does seem a bit OTT, but all my Air BnB bookings have been in Europe which I think is generally a bit less paranoid than our chums over the pond. A passport scan seems reasonable so they know it's not someone trying to get in illegally, but credit card details would give me pause.

I'll ask a friend who may have more experience and does it herself in The People's Fighting Republic of Canadia.
Thanks. I would be very interested in what she says.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have given my passport details many times when using hotels all around the world. I would not have too many problems with giving it to an airbnb provider either. In fact it shows they care about not being scammed and their security.

Top Bottom