AirZound horns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I used to have one of these,
31274310.jpg

It gives a loud electronic squawk and it prevented a couple of nasty situations from developing. The above example maybe isn't the best use but it does illustrate a problem. Peds and others if they hear a bell at all will react by stopping where they are, looking round and saying, "What's that?". An Airzound or the Megahorn is much more audible and peds react by getting the f@(& out of the way and asking questions (or hurling abuse) later.

I just don't get it. Loads of cyclists complain about motor vehicle drivers intimidating cyclists in this way. If car drivers shouldn't do it to cyclists, why should cyclists do it to pedestrians?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Airzound? Pffft, you wanna ride the Hornster

On a serious note though, you had a bright flashing front light and you wonder why people were finding it difficult to estimate your speed and trajectory?

byegad

Legendary Member
A Zound has it's uses. But I only use mine where I'm not seen and alerting the other road user to my presence might make a difference. My main uses have been where a vehicle was starting to pull out of a side road into my path. In all three cases the other user stopped, then looked for the source of the sound so letting me avoid a collision.

You do need to place the switch where you can hit it while braking hard, otherwise braking is impaired and if the other person is deaf you'll still hit! They are VERY loud so only use in extremis. I have a bell fitted too for more polite use.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I just don't get it. Loads of cyclists complain about motor vehicle drivers intimidating cyclists in this way. If car drivers shouldn't do it to cyclists, why should cyclists do it to pedestrians?
The air zound
Airzound? Pffft, you wanna ride the Hornster

On a serious note though, you had a bright flashing front light and you wonder why people were finding it difficult to estimate your speed and trajectory?

Maybe you could tell me why?

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
I agree intimidation is the wrong way to use a horn but they do have their place. In my case one incident was a couple of peds deep in conversation who walked straight into the road as I was about to turn left. The remote button on the horn meant I could sound it while braking and a combination of my brakes and their sudden stop prevented a collision. The other was a school run mum in a Chelsea tractor emerging from a side road through a line of stationary cars to turn right who completely failed to see me approaching until I tooted. She obviously appreciated my collision prevention measure, I saw her mouth a little "Thank You" as I passed.

I have just got one for the trike , it is LOUD !:wahhey: . the main problem for me is they are designed to handlebar mount and under seat steering does present a fixing opportunity . :banghead:

regards emma

BigAl68

Über Member
Flashing light = difficult to judge how fast you are approaching = your indignation and obvious need to be heard

winjim

Smash the cistern
Ah fair enough!:thumbsup: I read that the other day. To be honest i thought flashing lights were better..now i know otherwise.
Just reread my first post and realised it read a bit sarcastic - it wasn't meant to be, so sorry if you thought I was taking the piss :thumbsup:

Top Bottom