Alcohol Limit (not drivers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesMorgan

There has been quite a lot of press recently about the problems of binge drinking in our society. Potential solutions seem to be based around either education or increasing the price of alcohol. I have teenage children and suspect that neither of these approaches will have much effect.

I was wondering whether an alternative approach would be to have an alcohol limit for any person in a public place. Such a limit would need to be higher than the current drink-drive limit (of 80mg). I'm not sure what the right level would be - possibly 200mg.

I know there are current laws around being drunk and disorderley but these are a little subjective, and once you are drunk you typically believe your behaviour is fine. Having a fixed limit would make it clear to everyone what is acceptable.

As well as the health benefits and removing drunked yobs from the streets it could also cut down on the number of car accidents involving alcohol (interesting feedback from my kids is that out of their friends hurt in car accidents the majority involved drunken pedestrians rather than drunken drivers).

What do others think, and if in favour where would you set the limit?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
JamesMorgan said:
What do others think

;)

No! No no no no no no no no no. Absolutely not!

JamesMorgan, a man after my own heart.I have been saying for a long time now that there should be an alcohol level introduced for the non driving fraternity (YES INCLUDING CYCLISTS).Anti social behaviour is fueled by booze of all types and for that matter can also be as a result of drugs.Out on the streets is a particular problem with a catalogue of potential booze fuelled altercations etc.Happy & Safe Riding & an occasional drink to You All.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Why not a crackdown on public puritanism instead? Immediate fines for anyone caught frowning at the sight of other people enjoying themselves...

U

User169

theclaud said:
Why not a crackdown on pubic puritanism instead? Immediate fines for anyone caught frowning at the sight of other people enjoying themselves...

Deffo not in favour of that.

Dan B

Disengaged member
So having legally drunk more than 200mg's worth in your friend's home, you are unable to leave their house until it's worn off?

Great idea when your "friend" turns out to be a date rapist

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
theclaud said:
Immediate fines for anyone caught frowning at the sight of other people enjoying themselves...

Oo, what about for people muttering disapprovingly under their breath? Good grief, it'd bankrupt me!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My dad would be bankrupt. He disapproves of almost everything unless it's him that's doing it:tongue:.
But he does get drunk from time to time both at home and when away in his caravan:tongue:.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Take out the hysterical press and there is no problem.

Anyone for a beer or 10?

JamesMorgan said:
There has been quite a lot of press recently about the problems of binge drinking in our society. Potential solutions seem to be based around either education or increasing the price of alcohol. I have teenage children and suspect that neither of these approaches will have much effect.

I was wondering whether an alternative approach would be to have an alcohol limit for any person in a public place. Such a limit would need to be higher than the current drink-drive limit (of 80mg). I'm not sure what the right level would be - possibly 200mg.

I know there are current laws around being drunk and disorderley but these are a little subjective, and once you are drunk you typically believe your behaviour is fine. Having a fixed limit would make it clear to everyone what is acceptable.

As well as the health benefits and removing drunked yobs from the streets it could also cut down on the number of car accidents involving alcohol (interesting feedback from my kids is that out of their friends hurt in car accidents the majority involved drunken pedestrians rather than drunken drivers).

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
JamesMorgan said:
Your proposal doesn't go nearly far enough. Ok, people wouldn't be allowed to get merry from alcohol, but what are you intending to do to address other forms of pleasure? We need to ban laughter in public, for a start. When having sex, you shouldn't be allowed to leave your partner's home until there is no longer any trace of a satisfied smile on your lips. And cycling should be permitted only uphill, into a headwind during a thunderstorm.

Davidc

Guru
Just enforce the 'drunk and disorderly' rules.

The driving limit is well justified, if too high. So are alcohol rules covering using other machines and some jobs. A general one would be just another unnecessary piece of legislative nonesense.

Top Bottom