Alcohol Limit (not drivers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

JamesMorgan

Many thanks for the replies so far. The concensus has suprised me a little. I thought it would be about 50:50 between those that think you should be able to do whatever you like in public and those that think alcohol is the root of all evil and banned completely. We clearly have more of the former.

Some more data that may help promote further discussion. 200mg indicates a serious drinking session after which you are likely be be pretty incoherant. For a 13 stone male they will probably have drunk around 8 pints. However, a wander around any city centre late at night will find many people in this state.

For road accident deaths for over 16 year olds, 41% of pedestrians will have a blood alcohol over 80mg. For deaths between 10pm and 4am this rises to 92%. Out of the 41%, 66% will have alcohol levels over 200mg. OK, I hear you say, if you get drunk and get run over it's your own fault. I am not so convinced that it is a victimless crime. How does the driver feel after they have just killed someone? Even if stone sober and driving within speed limits they are llikely to be wraught with guilt.

As for enforceability, the current drunk and disorderley laws are very difficult to enforce due to their subjectivity. Instead I foresee a situation where a police offer sees a drunk (or more likely group of drunks) staggering in the street. He whips out a breathaliser and issues a £100 on the spot fine to any offenders. Clearly it won't stop all offenders but it attempts to draw a line as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
JamesMorgan said:
For road accident deaths for over 16 year olds, 41% of pedestrians will have a blood alcohol over 80mg. For deaths between 10pm and 4am this rises to 92%. Out of the 41%, 66% will have alcohol levels over 200mg. OK, I hear you say, if you get drunk and get run over it's your own fault. I am not so convinced that it is a victimless crime. How does the driver feel after they have just killed someone? Even if stone sober and driving within speed limits they are llikely to be wraught with guilt.

Eh? The problem isn't how pissed a pedestrian is, but the ton of metal ramming into them at speed whilst they're minding their own business and wobbling their way home. In my observation, hardly anyone driving around at night obeys the speed limit, except the ones who are trying to cover up how pissed they are.

Dan B

Disengaged member
In the offence of "drunk and disorderly", it is the "disorderly" that causes trouble, not the "drunk".

theclaud

Openly Marxist
threebikesmcginty said:
Come on TC haven't you got a pub to go to? :ohmy:

Nope. I have a back yard bathed in evening sunshine, a few letters to write, and several litres of Ralph's Badlands Hereford Dry, which I picked up from the Aberaeron Festival of Seafood yesterday. Yes - I know cider isn't seafood, but it went very well with a mussel dish that was on offer. I intend to get langered before somebody passes a law against it...

U

User169

JamesMorgan said:
Instead I foresee a situation where a police offer sees a drunk (or more likely group of drunks) staggering in the street. He whips out a breathaliser and issues a £100 on the spot fine to any offenders. Clearly it won't stop all offenders but it attempts to draw a line as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

I predict a riot....

dragon72

Guru
I believe people should be free to do what they want to themselves as long as it doesn't impact on others.
However, rather than get the law involved, I'd prefer it to become culturally embarrassing to be seen to be trolleyed.
While they're partial to a drink or two, my mates in France and Italy would rather die than brag about drinking 10 pints and spewing on the way home, yet here it's actually a source of amusement if not pride. A bit sad really.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
JamesMorgan said:

Why shouldn't they be wrought with guilt, it's their fault (or very likely)?

I'm intrigued by this idea of a limit for everybody, why not just have less liberal licensing instead?

OP
OP
J

JamesMorgan

OK - I've now done a bit more research on this idea. It seems that it is being seriously considered already in a number of countries.

The University of Adelaide published some research that suggested this approach would be the most effective way of reducing the number of pedestrians killing themselves on the roads. They recommended a limit of 150mg. Perhaps not suprisingly, 82% of Australians were opposed to this idea.

The Dutch government announced last year that they were investigating the feasibility of such a law. An obstacle appears to be the European Human Rights laws that prevent breathalisers being used on non-drivers.

Of course we could continue with the status quo and try to penalise everyone, for example, with high alcohol prices, restrictive licencing laws etc. I would much rather go for a liberised approach, but then clamp down hard on people who step over the line. The same applies to so called 'illegal drugs', but that is another thread!

OP
OP
J

JamesMorgan

theclaud said:
Pedestrians killing themselves? This a wind-up, surely?

Jumping in front of a tonne of metal travelling at 30mph is going to have similar consequences to jumping off a tall building. We could of course blame the car (or the ground) for the death but ultimately some people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

U

User169

JamesMorgan said:
Jumping in front of a tonne of metal travelling at 30mph is going to have similar consequences to jumping off a tall building. We could of course blame the car (or the ground) for the death but ultimately some people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

I wouldn't normally advise this at 8-30 in the morning, but I can't help feeling you need a drink (an alcoholic one that is)!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
JamesMorgan said:

Good Lord. You appear to be in earnest. Have you run someone over or something?

Top Bottom