Alcohol Limit (not drivers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Delftse Post said:
I wouldn't normally advise this at 8-30 in the morning, but I can't help feeling you need a drink (an alcoholic one that is)!

Hey DP - that reminds me. I found the Fat Cat. It's all good. :biggrin:

U

User169

theclaud said:
Hey DP - that reminds me. I found the Fat Cat. It's all good. :biggrin:

Very good - all this talk of banning booze is making me feel thirsty!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Delftse Post said:
I wouldn't normally advise this at 8-30 in the morning, but I can't help feeling you need a drink (an alcoholic one that is)!

Sheems ferpectly reasonable to me ... thud.

Actually pedestrian deaths are on the decline and have been for decades.
The last thing we need are new laws when there are existing and perfectly adequate ones already on the books.

Dan B

Disengaged member
JamesMorgan said:
Jumping in front of a tonne of metal travelling at 30mph is going to have similar consequences to jumping off a tall building. We could of course blame the car (or the ground) for the death but ultimately some people need to take responsibility for their own actions.
I can't remember the last time I saw a car travelling at 30 mph all by itself - far more often there is a human agency involved, in the form of a driver in control (or at least, in notional control) of it. In those cases, I am willing to bet that the majority of car crashes involving drunken pedestrians occur in places and at times where drunken pedestrians are numerous - and if I am correct, the car drivers really ought to observe there are people around and slow down.

Obviously if the car really is unoccupied then this doesn't apply

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Blimey coruskate, how dare you counter sensationalism with common sense

coruskate said:
I can't remember the last time I saw a car travelling at 30 mph all by itself - far more often there is a human agency involved, in the form of a driver in control (or at least, in notional control) of it. In those cases, I am willing to bet that the majority of car crashes involving drunken pedestrians occur in places and at times where drunken pedestrians are numerous - and if I am correct, the car drivers really ought to observe there are people around and slow down.

Obviously if the car really is unoccupied then this doesn't apply

OP
OP
J

JamesMorgan

I can see that two of the key frustrations are never likely to be addressed, namely;

a) People not taking responsibility for their own actions (ie it is always someone else's fault)

:ohmy: The government (probably mainly in response to the group above) acting as a nanny state and passing completely ineffective laws that do nothing to address the problem but stop normal people enjoying their lives.

So we have a problem with binge drinking. Nothing to do with the binge drinkers - they say alcohol is too cheap or too widely available, so laws are passed that address these points stopping me from enjoying a few cheap pints at 2am (or even 8:30am) but do nothing to stop binge drinking.

So we have large numbers of drunks getting semi-comatosed and being hit by cars. Can't be the drunks fault as the car has a driver. So perhaps we should ban all cars from town centres (or you could ensure all cars have a man walking in front of them waving a red flag warning of their arrival).

So a few people kill themselves taking heroin overdoses. Nothing to do with them - they say the problem is that it is too widely available, so laws are passed making it hard drugs illegal (and soft drugs as well just in case). So I can no longer enjoy a joint of cannabis, but I also have to face all the society issues associated with the illegal drug trade (and of course the number of overdoses isn't addressed).

I am just waiting for my next pleasure to be abolished by the nanny state. Cycling on a hot summer day with the cool wind in my hair (and yes, no helmet!).

Ultimately, until everyone starts to take responsibility for their actions the govenment is never going to pass laws that address the real problems.

And yes, I am probably a grumpy old man. When I was younger I probably enjoyed getting rat-arsed and sitting in the road playing chicken with the cars, but as I've aged, I've changed (probably something to do with life experience).

U

User169

JamesMorgan said:
I can see that two of the key frustrations are never likely to be addressed, namely;

a) People not taking responsibility for their own actions (ie it is always someone else's fault)

That is indeed a frustration, but it's not entirely clear why you think that motorists shouldn't take responsibility for their actions.

OP
OP
J

JamesMorgan

Delftse Post said:
That is indeed a frustration, but it's not entirely clear why you think that motorists shouldn't take responsibility for their actions.

Of course they should. In fact, motorists are one of the worst groups in blaming everyone else for their misdeeds. That doesn't mean they should be treated as a pariah and at fault in all cases.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
JamesMorgan said:
perhaps we should ban all cars from town centres (or you could ensure all cars have a man walking in front of them waving a red flag warning of their arrival).

Now you're talking!

Dan B

Disengaged member
JamesMorgan said:

:ohmy: The government (probably mainly in response to the group above) acting as a nanny state and passing completely ineffective laws that do nothing to address the problem but stop normal people enjoying their lives.
I am at a loss to see how introducing new laws is going to fix the problem that we have too many laws.

OP
OP
J

JamesMorgan

coruskate said:
I am at a loss to see how introducing new laws is going to fix the problem that we have too many laws.

Get rid of the countless laws that do nothing to address the real problem and introduce a few key laws that really sort things out. If the problem is some people drink too much alcohol, pass a law saying that it is illegal to drink more than a certain amount. Then get rid of all the other laws around pricing, licencing hours etc etc.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
JamesMorgan said:
Get rid of the countless laws that do nothing to address the real problem and introduce a few key laws that really sort things out. If the problem is some people drink too much alcohol, pass a law saying that it is illegal to drink more than a certain amount. Then get rid of all the other laws around pricing, licencing hours etc etc.

It isn't though, is it? It would help if you put your cards on the table. Is your aim to reduce pedestrian casualties, or to stop people getting a bit too pissed?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I can drink more then my mate Matt but not as much as my mate Adam.
How much is too much? It's unworkable nonsense to legislate.

JamesMorgan said:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So you had your fun. But now you want to stop others doing so?

JamesMorgan said:
And yes, I am probably a grumpy old man. When I was younger I probably enjoyed getting rat-arsed and sitting in the road playing chicken with the cars, but as I've aged, I've changed (probably something to do with life experience).

U

User169

JamesMorgan said:
Of course they should. In fact, motorists are one of the worst groups in blaming everyone else for their misdeeds. That doesn't mean they should be treated as a pariah and at fault in all cases.

On the contrary, I think that's a pretty sound starting point.

Top Bottom