Aldi cycling gear - Sunday 29th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why is that?
High power set has what looks like a floodlight lens, dazzling oncoming riders/drivers, so it wouldn't pass any relevant standards test. Police have their hands full with more serious road offences (including a growing number of motorists with no lights), so you're unlikely to get a ticket, but it's still antisocial to use one on the roads and you leave yourself open to various claims if involved in a collision. Keep it for isolated off-roading.

The low power blinkie has a steady mode that would also not pass the tests, so is technically illegal for that reason, but the flashing mode should suffice to avoid police attention and I doubt any rider under street lights would be accused of seriously dazzling with them. Edit: and in case it wasn't clear, I doubt anyone would ride unlit roads with those except in an emergency because you won't see where you're going well.

Last edited:
The Aldi lights are really good. I bought a couple of sets a couple of years back, and they are pretty much Lezyne Macros, at half the price. The straps can break, if you’re clumsy with them, but spare straps only cost a couple of quid.
I guess i don't like "rubber band" mounts or mounts that can break at all.
A lot of the older gen (not latest) lidl fronts use the same mount as smart lights - excellent.
Where do you get the spare straps?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Disagree - that front seems to use one of those strap things - very poor system- Lidls lights better - been riding through the night twice in the last week on one of their £6.50 specials.
I've been using one for the last 12 months with no problems... what's poor about it?

edit... see post #19 above. Each to their own :smile:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a couple of quite old Aldi long sleeve jerseys that are absolutely my favourite winter jerseys. But as they haven't worn out, and are showing no sign of doing so, and as I don't need any more lights or winter gear- I won't be going.

Aldi! Your stuff is just too good!

Nobody cares if technically legal or not, including the Police.
It’s the same for pedal reflectors. I can’t remember the last time I rode with pedal reflectors.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm,

Do I get the freestanding bike mount. Got 4 bikes already hung up on a wall, two on the wall above each other, but I've run out of wall hanging space, so the two FS MTB's are next to each other on the floor. I could reduce floor standing by 50% with one of these and have it mounted in front of the 'tents' etc that are hung on the wall...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
High power set has what looks like a floodlight lens, dazzling oncoming riders/drivers ...
All they need to do is point them down a bit*... but this concept seems to elude the majority of cyclists i see using them.

*I'm aware this won't make them road legal, but i'm not really bothered. All I want is a light that works well.

Hmm,

Do I get the freestanding bike mount. Got 4 bikes already hung up on a wall, two on the wall above each other, but I've run out of wall hanging space, so the two FS MTB's are next to each other on the floor. I could reduce floor standing by 50% with one of these and have it mounted in front of the 'tents' etc that are hung on the wall...
I did see those - in fact they struck me as a bit pricey for Aldi.
If you don't manage to get there, Decathlon does something similar.

Top Bottom