Aldi, next week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
I went to lidl and there was some lycra stuff but it all seemed a bit haphazard all mixed together with duvet covers and hair curlers. There was no proper bike section. Does anyone know if lidl sell bike light sets. All i could find was a head mounted one like a miners lamp.
Did pick up some nice (hopefully) german sausages though. :hungry:

duvets are good for winter cycling
biggrin.gif

Christopher

Über Member
Got the gloves and a pair of the leg warmers. Saw the shoes but they were in sealed packets and I didn't ask whether you could open them to try them on. The jackets looked good but I don't need another one.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm beginning to think I'm just about satiated with cheap cycling stuff. I went this morning and bought a red winter jersey and a pair of gloves. I couldn't really muster enough enthusiasm to buy anything else.

I've got enough to cover most of the conditions I'm likely to come across now, though that has taken me a wee while. I'm kind of thinking selective purchases of better quality kit will be the way to go from now on.

cycleman

I'm beginning to think I'm just about satiated with cheap cycling stuff. I went this morning and bought a red winter jersey and a pair of gloves. I couldn't really muster enough enthusiasm to buy anything else.

I've got enough to cover most of the conditions I'm likely to come across now, though that has taken me a wee while. I'm kind of thinking selective purchases of better quality kit will be the way to go from now on.

Just bought some stuff. Got a Rain Jacket, winter cycling trousers, winter shirt, gloves, and a cheap cable lock (for a throw away bike).

had rto rummage a bit to find the 'large' gloves and this was at 8 in the morning. I was gonna get more stuff but I have other stuff from lidls

which I havn't used yet so I held back, dont want to spend too much money.

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
I was at our local ALDI for bang on 8am this morning. Got myself the winter jacket, winter jersey, merino top, gloves and the bottle/cage.

The winter jacket: tried a small on first as I'm a scrawny runt (but long and tall) but the sleeves and body turned out to be a touch short, especially to utilize that nifty thumb hole. Medium next, fits much better. The only gripe I have is with the zip - it's crap. It took some right effort to get it fully zipped up. If this turns out to be common, I'll persevere. If not I may take it back.

Winter jersey: got this in a small, fits well. Again, probably a bit shorter in the sleeves than I'd like, but it serves me right for having long arms I guess :tongue:

Merino shirt: Lovely quality, I can see this being a valuable addition to my winter attire. Seems very warm.

Gloves: I wasn't intending to buy these, but after trying a pair on I went for it. They're not as thick as my "for when it's proper cold" gloves, but they're more than adequate for early winter and have good grip (the same as on their summer mitts).

Bottle/cage: well it's a bottle, and it comes with a cage. Useful because of the swappable caps, one for still and one for carbonated drinks - now I can take some Lucozade on the longer rides
smile.gif

All in all, some pretty good stuff. Luckily I had limited funds, otherwise I would have bought a lot more!

grimpeur

Veteran
Softshell Winter jacket was the only garment I tried on and the verdict is - Don't bother!

Compared to the similar offering 3 years ago(which was far better made and tailored) this is thin,zip is cheap and above all else the fit is appalling- way too big in the gut for a cycling garment- you would have to have a belly as big as Bulgaria to want to buy this. I am 40" to 42" chest so tried on the large.I am not a racing snake but waist area is way too big and would billow on a ride.

Get a jacket from a cycle clothing manufacturer instead is my advice. These are cr*p.

Oh, and the shoes (@£19.99) score 0/10 for style (positively vile to look at, best worn with overshoes) but I guess are acceptable for commuting and take a recessed spd cleat. Only other negative is their weight - a pair of these almost certainly weigh as much as a small family car.

RedRider

Pulling through
Well, if you're lanky like me you'll find the winter jacket sleeves too short even on the XL. Meh, it was Man Utd colours anyway so probably for the best. Gloves seemed good so got a pair.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Bough the Bike rack to go with my Lidl bags. A compression top for a winter base layer, a couple of bottle cages and some arm warmers.
Looked at the Florescent jacket, but next door in sports direct have Karrimore ones for £14.99, didn't buy either

crumpetman

I popped into my one nearest home on the way to work, I was only really looking for the winter jacket and maybe the gloves. I still have a winter jacket from Aldi last year but it is looking a bit tatty now. The new ones are a different fit and as said, the zips on the three I tried on were not too good.

Medium was slightly loose but too short in body and arms. Large was better for length but way too loose. I am 6'2'' 80kg 38'' chest.

Shoes are indeed heavy, I picked up a pair for a closer look and they felt like over a kilo!

I ended up getting a pair of gloves though.

Tyke

I got the winter cycling jacket in medium, very good fit but the sleeves could have done to have been a little longer.

Having 2 caps on the bottles is a good idea, so when taken from the bike you can seal it and throw it in a bag.

The waterproof trousers are good, I'm still using a pair I bought two years ago.

Glover Fan

Just been in Aldi Kidderminster, plenty of stock in everything. Didn't have much of a browse as I am actually at work, but bought the arm warmers and they feel like they will do a good job.

Hicky

Guru
Got gloves, arm/leg warmers, merino top(quite itchy didnt expect!), winter pants.....wife got lights and lock.
I'll get some good wear out of the merino(sorry 70% acrylic/30%wool), the fingerless gloves I got have lasted 18month so these should last at least two winters.....didnt bother with overshoes as last year are still in good nick!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Might take a wander at lunch. Don't need anything really - more socks for the commute - been using last years Aldi ones daily and they show no signs of wear.

Got last years soft shells, and they are good for cold mornings - but they are big on the belly !

Anyone had an Aldi merino base for some time ? Any good ?

potsy

Rambler
Might take a wander at lunch. Don't need anything really - more socks for the commute - been using last years Aldi ones daily and they show no signs of wear.

Got last years soft shells, and they are good for cold mornings - but they are big on the belly !

Anyone had an Aldi merino base for some time ? Any good ?

If you can fit one of those two tier bike stands on the back of your bike would you pick one up for me? :tongue:

I find my Endura Merino base layer a little itchy, so can't imagine a 30% Aldi one would be any better.

Top Bottom