Aldi pannier rack OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Popped in to local branch earlier - the pannier rack seems to need a fair bit of bolting together and didn't seem particularly light, but it strikes me as great value.

Can anyone who's bought one confirm if it goes together OK and is sturdy enough? I'm concerned with all the nuts and bolts it might rattle big time and fall to bits after half an hour!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have just fitted mine to my old rigid MTB and it does seem very sturdy. Excellent value at a tenner :thumbsup:

No idea TBH, but I see what you mean about the bolting it together. I use a Tortec Tour rack like THIS

I bought a silver one on here, but then decided a black one would look better :whistle: Anyhoo, my LBS had them in stock, brand new for £15 :thumbsup:

If you can find one for the right money I'd recommend you do as Tortec are a very well regarded brand :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Thanks - hadn't come across Tortec before.

Initially I was taken by the Topeak MTX system with its clipped in bags, but that would work out very expensive... I still think if it works (and doesn't rattle to bits) that the Aldi rack can't be beat for value for money.

At the end of the day, I'm just looking for a cost-effective commuting rack/bag solution that means I don't need to use a backpack on the days I have "luggage".

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I saw pannier bags in Poundstretchers of all places today as well - half price at £7.50, but TBH I think (for me) dual side pannier bags and an expanding top section are overkill!

albion

Guru
Mentioned in the Aldi thread.Zero chance of any rattle and becomes 85g lighter with the steel non aluminium top spring flap removed.Quality looks very high with wider aluminium tubing.Also has a universal 3 setting fitting system, the steel bit here should also protect this main breaking point.

Lee-p

Does anyone know if this will fit a bike with rear disc brakes ?.....thanks

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Thanks everyone - ended up buying and fitting the Aldi rack earlier today, although I've not removed the spring (yet) :whistle:

Can't say for sure if it'll fit a disc-equipped bike Lee-P, although I'm sure others will confirm. Does seem fairly sturdy, and despite the nuts and bolts not being the best I've ever seen, it assembled easily enough and fits well :thumbsup:

Now I just need to decide which trunk bag and/or panniers to go for!

albion

Guru
Can't believe my very minor obsession with saving weight stopped me from fitting a rack for so long.And at my speed there is near zero negative effect on my longest 90 mile day rides too.One snag though, the oversize aluminium means that my Vaude(same type fitting as Ortleib?) side bags will not auto-clip at the top.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Pannier fell off today.

Turns out that tightening the nuts and bolts is a 'requirment' not a recommendation. Silly me! :biggrin:

Top Bottom