ALDI Specials - Thursday 27th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
hmmm... Got the spoke reflectors, but on fitting them noticed one loose/untensioned spoke....

400bhp

Guru
Can you review the lights - worthwhile for my son's bike ?

Reviewed, not actually using them but shining them around at night and mounting them to the bike.

Front light
The light is brignt enough to be seen but certainly not bright enough to rely on in pitch black. It has 3 settings, 2 flashing and a stable.

I have 2 of the front lights of the Revolution Vision set (one of them is a Wiggle one but it's identical, just badged up differently). I The Revolution vision lights are better (they got good reviews on bike radar and was the reason i bought them) in that the beam has a much better focus. The Aldi one throws a wider arc of beam but I suspect this is somewhat wasted light.

Both front lights have poor side vision, but I do wonder what the need for side vision is (if they can see from the side they are behind you by the time of a reaction).

The negative is the bracket. It's essentially held on by 2 elasticated bands - one to attach the bracket to the bike, and one to attach the light to the bracket. The light and bracket seem to stay reasonably still on my Carrera Subway which has reasonably thick bars, but will not when I put it on my wife's bike (Subway women's) the bars are too thin for the strap. Using a rubber wedge doesn't work as the bracket flexes around too much.

Rear light
Seems pretty good, but to be honest I find most rear lights a much of a muchness.

Manonabike

Über Member
First experience of the Aldi cycling sale today....WOW.... was like a pack of wild animals fighting over a carcass! Picked up the padded trousers, hi-vis shirt, gloves and winter jacket, all seemed to fit well. Tried out the padded trousers on the way home, so much more comfortable than the normal shorts I've been wearing up until now.

Ahhhh I guess you don't ride a Brooks saddle then :whistle:

Schneil

Veteran
Heaton Chapel store - nearly out of stock. When I went on Thursday the place was almost besiged by cyclists. Sunday nearly all gone. Dammit, I really wanted a merino base layer.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
+ lots to the spoke reflectors, brilliant and highly distinctive. Got a waterproof winter jacket and a pair of gloves as backup. I've got 4 of the softshells over the last couple of years, still going strong, comfy, cool, very wind and water resistant and are my standard outer layer unless its really hammering down when I leave the house.

Schneil

Veteran
+ lots to the spoke reflectors, brilliant and highly distinctive. Got a waterproof winter jacket and a pair of gloves as backup. I've got 4 of the softshells over the last couple of years, still going strong, comfy, cool, very wind and water resistant and are my standard outer layer unless its really hammering down when I leave the house.

How did you find the softshell for fit? There's one left in my store in medium, I'm tempted but it seems a bit baggy....

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Heaton Chapel store - nearly out of stock. When I went on Thursday the place was almost besiged by cyclists. Sunday nearly all gone. Dammit, I really wanted a merino base layer.

The Marino layer is the one thing I've not liked, very itchy and still gets clammy. I've got a couple of walking ones from decathlon that are light years better and were only £20odd.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I wasn't too bothered this time around but did pop in on a couple of stores looking for overshoes....couldn't find anything over a size 8 :sad:

Top Bottom