Aldi Vs Lidl..... who shops where.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Seriously though, I use Aldi because it's closer. Occasionally if I see a Lidl I pop in because I know their croissants are top notch.

gbb

Legendary Member
We have neither particually close to us, I don't mind picking up bits and pieces from Aldi, for some reason, I just don't like Lidl. I do know why really, when they first started, their salad and veg was not to my liking.

Wouldn't use either for a main shop, I'm too rigid in what I like and want, so reject both.

potsy

Rambler
No Lidl within 2 miles whereas there's an Aldi a few minutes walk away.
Saying that I tend to use Sainsbury's.

There is also an M&S food which I used for the first time yesterday, mainly as I had a £5 voucher that I got from the postcode lottery

All uphill

Still rolling along
Our local Lidl is bike friendly - the bike stands are well positioned and kept clean. Our local Aldi is actively hostile to cyclists - Bike parking used for trolley storage, Brompton not allowed in, a huge splay across the pavement and cycle lane which encourages drivers to cross them at speed.

I complained at the planning stage and to the store manager without success.

Aldi won't see me again (and almost certainly will be glad).

Gunk

Guru
I quite like both but Aldi is just down the road, Aldi and Waitrose are actually located opposite each other so Mrs Gunk tends to use both.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Both. Prefer wine selection in Aldi, but, prefer Lidl for their choice of pastries, bread rolls. In our case, the two stores are adjacent, so, no problem to visit both.

Mike_P

Guru
No Lidl within 2 miles whereas there's an Aldi a few minutes walk away.
Saying that I tend to use Sainsbury's.

There is also an M&S food which I used for the first time yesterday, mainly as I had a £5 voucher that I got from the postcode lottery

My "spend" in M&S is a near continuous use of gift vouchers from the credit card and Top cashback. Did actually have to pay £1.38 to then yesterday as the latest gift voucher ran out and just realised I have ordered Argos one in error:blush:

Aldi opened without bike racks. Someone must have pointed it out and a few months in some got put in right across the front of the store. All other supermarkets put their bike racks right round the side where nobody goes and often where excess trolleys are stacked.

At least aldi has them where people pass by. Other stores you could literally take power tools and cut through any lock without anyone seeing you or hearing you. A bike thieves ideal bike storage!

presta

Guru
Tesco & Sainsburys. We don't have an Aldi despite the promise of one, and there's nothing at Lidl worth walking an extra half mile each way for. Somerfield came and went. Morrisons came and went. There's a small Iceland, but I've never been in, and M&S is too far, too expensive and too little choice. No Safeway, and no Asda.

(I think the council have shares in Tesco, we've got four of those.)

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
On bike racks the local Aldi are all too often nearly fully trolley occupied and are the rear side of the store. The nearest Lidl has them to the front, the larger Lidl at Knaresborough had them at the far end of the side car park with the dropped kerb access point to the side of a parking space :banghead:

vickster

Legendary Member
Aldi over Lidl.
Neither have great fruit and veg, nor do I think they’re actually that cheap and the choice for a lazy non meat eater is poor! Their fish also smells off when you open it even if we’ll within date!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Aldi over Lidl.
Neither have great fruit and veg, nor do I think they’re actually that cheap and the choice for a lazy non meat eater is poor! Their fish also smells off when you open it even if we’ll within date!

Which ones have you been in - all the ones I've been in have been great. They don't have the range though, which may be an issue for you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Which ones have you been in - all the ones I've been in have been great. They don't have the range though, which may be an issue for you.

The ones local to me obvs. They have poor veg ready meals, always only meat left. I tend to shop after 8pm

Top Bottom