Aldi Vs Lidl..... who shops where.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Lidl for us. In Plymouth there are only 2 Aldis, one of which is huge but not convenient to get to. I do like their stuff though. We have about 8 million Lidl's and 1 is only 5 mins away. We try and shop there every time because it's cheaper, but have to go tesco or Morrisons sometimes to get special GF stuff and/or cater for fussy teenagers

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Neither down here but our local supermarket has a tie up with Waitrose so buy quite a bit of their stuff. That should please the Guardian readers on here.

Visit to Morrison's the other day, and sign as you walk in saying price match with Aldi/Lidl. Not gonna go round checking to see if true.
Aldi is nearest, so use that most - usually when it's a boring rainy day, and I just fancy a walk and look-see.

Last edited:
Wet occasionally pop into Lidl if we are passing. It’s around 3 miles away from home. Probably one very small shop every other month.

Last time was a couple of weeks ago. We only picked up a couple of almond croissants and small loaf. Rarely buy more.

Checkout experience was horrible. They have changed the software on their self service ones and it is not intuitive to use. It requires additional steps at certain stages that don’t make sense having used checkouts in other stores. It’s put me off going back to be honest.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We have a Lidl and Aldi opposite each other in Orpington. The Aldi is not that great. At times it resembles a huge messy jumble sale. The Lidl is better but I'm not a fan of both for their fresh veg, though on the other hand they both can't be beat for German sausages, meatballs and beer's. Lidl's bakery is also top notch.

This weekend we decided to do a shop in the local Tesco's about a mile away for a change and to be honest I was very surprised at how competitive price wise it was compared to both Lidl and Aldi.

Mike_P

Guru
Not seen a self serve in the local Lidls yet. Aldi has some now which does make a quicker checkout normally given the full trolley loads at the normal tills. Quite often with a light rucksack friendly basket in a Lidl a shopper with a full trolley will let me go in front of them :thumbsup:

Mike_P

Guru
Lidl for us. In Plymouth there are only 2 Aldis, one of which is huge but not convenient to get to. I do like their stuff though. We have about 8 million Lidl's and 1 is only 5 mins away. We try and shop there every time because it's cheaper, but have to go tesco or Morrisons sometimes to get special GF stuff and/or cater for fussy teenagers

GF for me and Lidl is a bit of a pain with the amount of may contain warnings on products that otherwise would be okay. Currently, M&S excepted, Aldi is only seller of a Shepherds Pie that is GF in its ingredients and devour of a warning.

Alex321

Veteran
Don't tend to use either very much, but Lidl more frequently, mainly because of their bakery. Aldi is actually closer now they have opened one in Talbot Green.

Aldi for us, because it is closer. I am not opposed to a visit to Lidl, although it's position, on a busy road, makes getting out of it a bit awkward...

dicko

Guru
Been shopping at Aldi for five years now and seen our weekly shopping bill rise from £70 to £101 this morning. We finished with Morrison’s five years ago where we were spending £95 weekly .
Aldi every time for us and it’s very multicultural is ours.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I live on the things…..can’t cook, won’t cook! :laugh: Been using Aldi again recently and a few of their ready meals have been surprisingly good.

My meals consists of porridge or cereal for breakfast, a sandwich or something on toast for lunch and a ready meal for tea.
Are you sure you are getting the correct nutrition for your needs?. Ready meals are o.k now and then but very high in fats and additives etc. I think you might not be having enough vitamins and minerals etc. You need fruit and veg/salad etc as well.

This weekend we decided to do a shop in the local Tesco's about a mile away for a change and to be honest I was very surprised at how competitive price wise it was compared to both Lidl and Aldi.

Been saying this for years - if you buy own brand stuff in Tesco (as I do), there's really not that much difference. AND you have far more choice available to you as well.

Having said that, will be popping into Aldi later today as I am in need of a big 500g block of mature cheddar for cooking with.

Top Bottom