Aldi Vs Lidl..... who shops where.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Google Streetscene in 2020 managed to find the cycle stands at my local Aldi free of trolleys
1710770187207.png

A drenching of the bike is equally likely at the nearest Lidl, Co-Op, Morrisons and Sainburys. Tesco is currently being built so that is unknown. Asda do have theres now well under cover while Lidl at Knaresborough has a somewhat isloated cycle shelter close to EV charging points. The blue car is in the space blocking the dropped kerb. I have suggested to them they resite the drop kerb around the corner.
1710770485085.png

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Been saying this for years - if you buy own brand stuff in Tesco (as I do), there's really not that much difference. AND you have far more choice available to you as well.

Having said that, will be popping into Aldi later today as I am in need of a big 500g block of mature cheddar for cooking with.

Yes but often all the supermarkets own brand items have gone and the shelves are bare, so you are just left with the more expensive items.

Alex321

Veteran
Yes but often all the supermarkets own brand items have gone and the shelves are bare, so you are just left with the more expensive items.

You must shop at bad times, or in an area where few can afford the non own-brand stuff.

It does happen occasionally, but quite rare IME for most of the own-brand stuff to be out of stock.

Mike_P

Guru
Own brand stocks levels are often poor generally I find i..e.
Lidl Friday - no decaf tea bags or thin cut marmalade
Sainsbury's Friday - only 3 packs of no added sugar instant custard on the shelf (took two), and got the last pack of free from breaded cod (today none).
Morrisons Saturday - no Corned Beef Hash

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Our local Lidl is bike friendly - the bike stands are well positioned and kept clean. Our local Aldi is actively hostile to cyclists - Bike parking used for trolley storage, Brompton not allowed in, a huge splay across the pavement and cycle lane which encourages drivers to cross them at speed.

I complained at the planning stage and to the store manager without success.

Aldi won't see me again (and almost certainly will be glad).

Perhaps the bike parking problem is company policy as they would need to have it for planning permission but nobody would check if it was useable by bikes later.
Oban Aldi is the same and bike parking is blocked.

MikeG

Guru
Perhaps the bike parking problem is company policy as they would need to have it for planning permission but nobody would check if it was useable by bikes later...
A call to Planning Enforcement at the local authority is all that is needed. I'm afraid that this step is sometimes necessary to ensure that things which have been properly agreed at the Planning Application & consent stage are actually carried out in practice. Conditions around these sorts of things are very tightly written, and are enforceable by law.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A call to Planning Enforcement at the local authority is all that is needed. I'm afraid that this step is sometimes necessary to ensure that things which have been properly agreed at the Planning Application & consent stage are actually carried out in practice. Conditions around these sorts of things are very tightly written, and are enforceable by law.

Thanks I'll try that.

stephec

Legendary Member
Come on @Dave7 we all know that your real answer is - which ever one stocks the most air fryer friendly food. 😂

stephec

Legendary Member
Never do a full shop at either of them but go in for bits, Aldi for chocolate and hash browns, Lidl for beer and schnitzel.

When it comes to own brand stuff, I tend to buy ingredients as opposed to prepared stuff, as I cook mostly from scratch. Plus, living out in the boonies, I'm the sort of person who will buy a replacement as soon as she opens something, as it just makes life far easier.

I find the Tesco here in Ely is reasonably good when it comes to stock levels on the things that I buy. I can't speak for the things that I don't, such as ready meals, jams & marmalades, packet sauces etc.

Picked up my large block of cheddar for £4.88 in Aldi this afternoon.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Late to the party. Always Lidl for me, not keen an some of Aldi stuff for some reason. Price wise, they pretty much seem to match each other the odd time I've been in.

Another plus for Lidl is their App is one of the few I know of that still gives points for any shopping, not just buying certain things. They also do fairly good rewards, I've had a bakery item free every couple weeks for a while now (I get a French Loaf or a Tiger Bread, they're the biggest thing on offer!).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I do prefer Lidl to Aldi, because of their "multicultural weeks", I am specially fond of the European cured meats and the cheeses. In general, I find Lidl's choice of fresh produce better quality than Aldi.
On saying that, I mostly stop at Aldi's, at least twice a week on my way home from work, because the nearest Lidl is out of my way, and also near a busy road where a few years ago I got rear ended while stationary at lights. That put me off riding there, walking would be a good 40 minutes - I refuse to take the bus lol
I have another Lidl near work, but I wouldn't leave my bike there unattended for not even 5 minutes!
So I usually go to the Lidl in town when I meet my friend who doesn't cycle - then I will take the bus least my bike gets stolen, to Aldi during the week, to my small Tesco (a 10 min walk) once a week for my fruit.at
If here's something heavy that I need from Aldi, but Tesco price matches, I will get it from Tesco because of the shorter distance to carry it.
I mostly buy ingredients (cook from scratch), fruit and veg, cheese ... cat litter.

Top Bottom