Aldi Vs Lidl..... who shops where.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I get cat litter from Pets at home delivered. I get 6 bags of the 30L wood pellets every couple of months.

Aldi is my nearest supermarket but it has a limited range and is poor quality and poor value for some of the items I regularly buy. I tend to spend less than £10 in there so its easy to carry home up the hill. I find Tesco much better value and quality I just avoid the high price options that are everywhere and focus on their offers and value ranges. The fruit and veg is miles better at Tesco and often better priced. You must have a clubcard though as otherwise you would be paying more. I bought a couple of melons at 99p but without a clubcard I think they would have been £1.50 or more, a huge bag of very good quality apples was £1.75 but again without the clubcard it was up at £2.50 I think. There are lots of great prices too that aren't clubcard offers. Bananas are awful in Aldi and unacceptable quality typically where as Tesco are far nicer and price matched. Iceberg lettuces are tiny in Aldi but the Tesco one's at the same price are 50% bigger it seems. It just seems the stuff I like to buy is not cheap in Aldi but then I don't buy so much imported food and I don't drink alcohol. Last time I was in Tesco there was a 4 for 3 on household cleaning type products so get 4 bottles of thick bleach (2 litres each) for £3.87, less than £1 each. The value for me at Tesco is just far better. However I have to admit I'm setup with all the supermarkets and their loyalty schemes so soon as a I get a voucher I shift to that supermarket which is the cheapest way to shop I find.

Lidl have just changed their instant soup recipe, got rid of chicken and now do vegetable instead. Have tried it and it's not quite as nice so not sure what theyve changed here.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Lidl have just changed their instant soup recipe, got rid of chicken and now do vegetable instead. Have tried it and it's not quite as nice so not sure what theyve changed here.

Possibly more potato starch which is what most instant soups use. It's interesting to compare ingredients from different manufacturers. Heinz Tomato instant soup for example is about 60% tomato powder, others are much lower.

Possibly more potato starch which is what most instant soups use. It's interesting to compare ingredients from different manufacturers. Heinz Tomato instant soup for example is about 60% tomato powder, others are much lower.

I've got 1 box of the old tomato left, going to compare that to the new and see whats different.

Never liked Heinz though Campbells condensed is nice.

Um.. might it be the lack of chicken and the added veg ?

Yes of course, but the Tomato and the Minestroni flavours seem off too xx(

There are generic food factories that supply supermarkets and supermarkets frequently change factories to get a better deal. Years ago I remember baked beans in Lidl having a weird flowery taste which I disliked and then they changed and they were pretty much the same as the basic baked beans from other supermarkets like Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons etc. So they just changed supplier but the label stayed the same I think. Sardines is a good example as whoever supplies those seems to vary enormously, I guess there are multiple factories around the world and Lidl seems to vary from terrible quality sardines to good quality.

There are generic food factories that supply supermarkets and supermarkets frequently change factories to get a better deal. Years ago I remember baked beans in Lidl having a weird flowery taste which I disliked and then they changed and they were pretty much the same as the basic baked beans from other supermarkets like Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons etc. So they just changed supplier but the label stayed the same I think. Sardines is a good example as whoever supplies those seems to vary enormously, I guess there are multiple factories around the world and Lidl seems to vary from terrible quality sardines to good quality.

Sardines I'm sure Lidl gets from 2 different places, one is just a plain tin in a carboard box and the other is a painted tin without a box. Both taste the same though and my local often has both types on the shelf.

Sardines I'm sure Lidl gets from 2 different places, one is just a plain tin in a carboard box and the other is a painted tin without a box. Both taste the same though and my local often has both types on the shelf.

I actually find these vary a lot but then I'm a bit of a sardine on toast fan so buy a lot of sardines. It's possible the factory is the same that cans them and they are just using different quality fish at times but I've had some awful low quality sardines from Lidl on occasion. The only time I've had similar quality was when I bought some cheap tins from Poundstretcher and they were pretty iffy too.

presta

Guru
Campbells condensed
Are they still on the go? They've become completely unobtainable around here, after having been virtually unobtainable for years. I used to use the Campbells condensed mushroom soup for making a chicken & mushroom casserole, and it doesn't taste anywhere near as good made from 'ordinary' soups.
Sardines is a good example as whoever supplies those seems to vary enormously
I used to eat a lot of Glenryck pilchards until they changed to a different recipe which tasted foul. Now I use Tesco sardines instead, which have been ok so far.

Are they still on the go? They've become completely unobtainable around here, after having been virtually unobtainable for years. I used to use the Campbells condensed mushroom soup for making a chicken & mushroom casserole, and it doesn't taste anywhere near as good made from 'ordinary' soups.

I used to eat a lot of Glenryck pilchards until they changed to a different recipe which tasted foul. Now I use Tesco sardines instead, which have been ok so far.

You can but not in Aldi or Lidl, they get some branded stuff in but it's mostly their own stuff. It's lovely soup mind so I should make an effort to find some sometime.

presta

Guru
You can but not in Aldi or Lidl, they get some branded stuff in but it's mostly their own stuff. It's lovely soup mind so I should make an effort to find some sometime.

I reckon they lose a lot of business from people who don't realise they make double, and think they're just expensive.

Top Bottom