Aldi Vs Lidl..... who shops where.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Can we just keep it to these two.
I normally shop at Aldi as its easier to get to for me.
However, today I needed a fresh crusty loaf to go with a ploughmans and Lidl has a bakery.......so off to Lidl I went.
I only wanted a loaf but had a look around and was impressed by what I saw so plan to give it a try.
Main problem will be that I know where all my essentials are in Aldi whereas Lidl will be a mystery.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Aldi, simply because it is nearer to us than Lidl.

And also because it sits in a triumvirate of stores that are very closely situated in Kendal (Aldi, Morrisons & Sainsbury) and one 'hit' easily sorts our weekly shopping needs.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Whichever I'm nearest...
Though I tend to get them mixed up and once went to the wrong one when a cycle promotion was on :shy:

We have both within walking distance. On one occasion Mrs Tkk went to Aldi with her new shopping trolley and I was going to follow her down after a suitable time and meet her at the checkouts ( apparently I get too grumpy when I go shopping with her 🤔 ) When I arrived she was nowhere to be seen so I sent a text " where are you ? ) I got a reply saying " I'm by the checkouts, where are you ? " . It was then I realised that I was in Lidl😮

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Go into both. Lidl is the nearest to me. They seem less intent on copying brands. They have some good specials and seems if anything a little cheaper than Aldi. I like the fact you get a free bakery item if you do a shop or two via their app. The bakery is pretty good at a sensible price.
All that said I do like Aldi too when I go there. I don't like Tesco's though and avoid it if there is a German alternative nearby. 🤔

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Aldi (five minute walk)... it's closer than Lidl (20 minute walk) and I work at Aldi so just pick up a few bits of shopping after each shift. If i ever need anything from Screwfix, I do call into Lidl as it's on the way but otherwise, it's just too far out of the way

simongt

Guru
Aldi for us for most of the 'general shopping' as it's a seven minute bike ride uphill, thus empty and a five minute loaded ride downhill back home - ! ^_^
But I do get all my bakery, cheese & fruit / veg. stuff from local independent retailers. :okay:

There's only aldi near us so that's where we shop. Lidl I think have better fruit and veg too. I'm not sure of Lidl bakery but I'm not that impressed with aldi bread.

In Belgium we visited an aldi and a lidl. Both were so much better than over here. Both had fresh bread baked in store. They were cleaner and better imho. We're missing the best that they can be. Haha!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We have both within walking distance. On one occasion Mrs Tkk went to Aldi with her new shopping trolley and I was going to follow her down after a suitable time and meet her at the checkouts ( apparently I get too grumpy when I go shopping with her 🤔 ) When I arrived she was nowhere to be seen so I sent a text " where are you ? ) I got a reply saying " I'm by the checkouts, where are you ? " . It was then I realised that I was in Lidl😮

so many of our customers can't tell the difference. They often bring Lidl special buys back for a refund :scratch: and some will ask where the bakery is, insisting that the 'other' Aldi has a bakery :wacko:

I buy my cheese from elsewhere though... coz Aldi's cheese is mostly sh!t.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I like these smaller supermarkets as they are easier to get around rather than the massive Tesco/Sainsburys & Asda.
My preference is Aldi, it’s closer to home and I think slightly cheaper than Lidl although the lidl bakery is very good.

Top Bottom