Aldi Winter stuff - 28th Sept 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You might find these are merino and something else blend. Maybe not 100% merino.
Think you'll find most garments with the 'merino' tag are (varying) percentage blends thereof, and one needs to assess each item with that information clearly in mind. That said, a blend is probably more functional than 100%, but when it's only +<30% merino you're in the realm of: "let's stuff a bit in and then we can call it 'merino' " territory.

ianbarton

Veteran
Think you'll find most garments with the 'merino' tag are (varying) percentage blends thereof, and one needs to assess each item with that information clearly in mind. That said, a blend is probably more functional than 100%, but when it's only +<30% merino you're in the realm of: "let's stuff a bit in and then we can call it 'merino' " territory.

I bought one of their Merino tops a couple of years ago. It was OK, but quite a bit shorter than other more expensive tops I own. I am 6ft 2" and it was really a couple of inches too short for me. I find Decathlon's Merino/other fabric mix better value and they have a decent body length.

400bhp

Guru
I bought one of their Merino tops a couple of years ago. It was OK, but quite a bit shorter than other more expensive tops I own. I am 6ft 2" and it was really a couple of inches too short for me. I find Decathlon's Merino/other fabric mix better value and they have a decent body length.
I bought one of the Aldi merino jerseys but didn't pay much attention to the wash care. It's now full of holes after being in the washing machine numerous times.
I have a DHB merino blend base layer and this can be thrown in a washing machine no problem. The. Garment has enough merino in it to still benefit from the no smell and wicking properties.

Simontm

Veteran
What do you mean not all women want to wear pink and not all men want to wear blue?
View attachment 373641

Anyway, not all Aldi stuff is great. Much more hit and miss than Lidl. Last panniers I bought there didn't last 6 weeks. The last round of lights seems to have suffered from weak/snapped mounting points, from what I've seen IRL.
Yep, my front light mounting point snapped clean off

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
One of their previous winter jackets with the zip-off arms is my primary commuting top layer, been really good.

Might look at the merino jersey and the rear camera/light thing this time.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hmmm. That front light has an uncanny resemblance to the Lezyne front lights. :-)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
About time they did a small size , the smallest they stock in tops is a 38-40, which fits a 40 which in my book is large.Ok for commuting in winter but too flappy for anything else.

J1888

Über Member
Defo interested in the Fly6 clone. Re. their regular bibshorts - anyone got any experience of them?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Defo interested in the Fly6 clone. Re. their regular bibshorts - anyone got any experience of them?

I had some regular bib shorts which ran for 2 years commuting and other duties before the stitching gave out. Mothballed for the winter, though. Intend buying a pair of the winter long bibs next week. I have an older pair from Aldi which are about 2 years old, with a windproof coating on the top which do very well.

the stupid one

Über Member
MY EYES! MY EYES! The front/rear light set is rather bright.

Also got the helmet light and the £2.99 rear light, plus socks, a base layer, and a jersey. There were only three of us picking through the baskets at 9 a.m., but one guy had already overloaded his basket, and was still trying stuff on when I checked out.

Top Bottom