Aldi Winter stuff - 28th Sept 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why should it though? Says more about those going than the shop. Where else would you do the same!
Not entirely - Aldi put boxed/packeted clothes out with often only a vague sizing sticker on the pack and not ordinary measurements, so people open them to check and then it's a devil's own job to repack them so they give up; and Aldi put unboxed clothes out in baskets (rather than spend money on hanger display units) so even if they start out folded and stacked and the shop floor staff haven't just tipped the box out, they easily get messy and tangled. So both of those seem like direct consequences of cutting operating costs.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not entirely - Aldi put boxed/packeted clothes out with often only a vague sizing sticker on the pack and not ordinary measurements, so people open them to check and then it's a devil's own job to repack them so they give up; and Aldi put unboxed clothes out in baskets (rather than spend money on hanger display units) so even if they start out folded and stacked and the shop floor staff haven't just tipped the box out, they easily get messy and tangled. So both of those seem like direct consequences of cutting operating costs.
They've a sign asking you not to open the packets, and it's ignored.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Popped in as i thought the armwarmers would be ok for commuting but only xl and medium left, neither fit.

Hit the aldi specials laxt night.
base layer top is thin but lovely u der my cycling top today.
Got my size 12s into the neoprene shoe covers. Seem well made.
winter mens tights are just that but feel great.
i avoided n+1 syndrome on the lights

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They've a sign asking you not to open the packets, and it's ignored.
Never seen such a sign and it's not a reasonable request when they're not putting proper sizing info on the packets. This isn't distance selling where you can send it back very readily.

buzzy-beans

Über Member
I also got a pair of arm warmers for £7.99, acrylic/wool/polyester "with merino", and they seem decent too (can't see the exact same on the web site).

I bought both a pair of the arm warmers and leg warmers as well, but heaven knows who does their sizing specs for them as the arm warmers I can't even pull them over my hands and as for the leg warmers, I would have thought that quite a lot of cyclists have decent sized calf muscles and yet I couldn't pull them more than half way up my lower leg.
Needless to say they are both being returned, but as for the merino wool clothing, they all fit my frame perfectly and are superb value for money.

Alan O

Über Member
I popped in today and got this long-sleeved merino base layer for £16.99. I've never tried merino before, but its stretch makes it cling close to the skin with no bagginess and without feeling too tight - it seems pretty nice.

I also got a pair of these arm warmers for £5.99, acrylic/wool/polyester "with merino", and they seem decent too, though I don't know what the little knobbly beady bits stuck to the top end are for (updated - found them on the site).

And, as usual, a couple of 400ml cans of GT85 for £2 each.

Oh, and these winter jackets looked pretty reasonable too, but they only had sizes too small for me.

Last edited:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Can't praise the armwarmers enough, they're great for the meager sum of £5.99. I also brought some muc off wet lube, a long sleeved base layer and some waterproof trousers. I have quite a lot of the Aldi stuff and I like it, it's very good for the price but I also like to sometimes spend a bit more money and get Pactimo or Castelli gear as well.

hoppym27

I bought some leg warmers..one of the black winter jackets which has been great so far this week!..some bike cleaner and degreaser...and 2 pairs of merino socks

SirDickieBird

Got myself some armwarmers as want to get covered up in the cold but heat up quickly and can't be doing with anything long-sleeved that can't be whipped off quickly! Used them and they seem good.

Got the front/back light set too. Good enough for my use at the moment and attached easily. Not sure how they'll stand up to the elements but for the price can't go too wrong. They had them in stock Thursday - Saturday lunch they'd all gone.

Jackets seem (and are) cheap and would rather spend a few more ££ I think.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Buy cheap buy twice I think.
On the other hand. I have bought both jackets and Jerseys from Aldi that have performed as well as my Rapha jacket through the winter. I actually prefer their jerseys as they don't have logos all over them. You can also buy expensive and it ends up as rubbish. That's more disappointing than buying cheap at Aldi.

Evenflow

Just back from Aldi. Loads a good stuff.
Good lights rechargeable. Gloves, Marino and standard base layers (16.99 and 6.99).
16g cartridges and appllicators, bike stands and turbo trainer and all good prices.
Bought myself a pair of overshoes for £14.99. Go on and off easily, seem good quality and waterproof .
Waterproof socks £2.99. Theres other stuff but I can't remember it all.
Its going fast!

si_c

Guru
Picked up a long sleeve Jersey and the long sleeve base layer to go with it. Arms are a bit short in the large size, but XL would swamp me in the body, problems of being a relatively skinny knuckle dragger.

Both did quite well on the forum 90miler on Saturday, including the extra 5.30am ride to the station and the 1am ride home from the same.

NickNick

I'm hoping there will still be the merino base layers by the time my client finally pays up this week (hate when people pay you late!).

I was last in Aldi a couple of days before the winter range came in, but they did have a couple of these jerseys: https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-mens'-short-sleeved-jersey/p/076828157208600 Spent about 15 min picking the box up, putting it down, picking it back up again... in part as wasn't 100% sure it would fit and also couldn't tell what it was really like as it was in a box. Eventually decided to take a punt on it and really pleased I did, it fits perfectly and is extremely comfortable and very good value for money and if we have another mild winter should see a fair bit of use with arm warmers.

Top Bottom