Aldi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Is this a case of you get what you paid for ? I could of been lucky but I've never had any problems with Aldi stuff...tell a lie I had a recharchable moon type light that packed up after 12 months.Gave me a refund as had non in at the time.Bought another as soon as came back in that's been on my commuter bike for over a year.The pump is at least 4 years old and going strong.

I should have taken a pair of overshoes back I bought a few years ago - zip bust almost immediately. These days I try to look through my old receipts and highlight anything that is not food - chuck in a bag.
Should say that I bought a different design of zipped overshoe from them a couple of years later and they have been fine - generally decent quality.
I seem to recall that some of their electric/electronic stuff comes with a three year guarantee, which is excellent.

i find their merino baselayers very good - can the stuff you see on sale elsewhere for £50 or so really be that much better?

Last edited:
Worked fine for me. Inflated MTB tyres to 50psi and road tyres to 110psi in a few easy strokes. The clamping lever is a little stiff but not unmanageable. Gauge is very clear indeed.

Well I bought one after your feedback -thanks - pumped two tyres up to a tad below 90psi just fine and dandy - doesn't feel quite as good as other track pumps I have and still use but I needed one for another location - seems to do the job - unlike my exploding Lidl job it has a metal barrel. Will see how long it lasts.

Agree that the clamping lever is stiff.

Yep the gauge is pretty clear but in answer to the question from:

@MontyVeda

up above about whether it is accurate, quite probably not so for some applications I will have to apply my quality Giyo gauge to the wheels.

For after ploughing through lots of legal and danger warnings (Burn Hazard! Risk of Injury! Risk of Damage! Caution!) in the booklet I came across this:

"The pressure gauge has not been certified and the measurements provided are therefore of a non-binding nature. You must therefore check the pressure with a calibrated measuring device, eg: at a fuel station".

I also bought something else - will report back on that after a bit more road testing on a second longish ride.

Update for a panting @Adam4868

The other thing I bought - though report maybe too late apart from folks who can find remainders.

The waterproof top. £15.

My favourite general top before was a great thing I got from Aldi for £20 but I tore it a while ago on some barbed wire.

This one seems to be really comfortable, breaths well enough, kept me dry on a very wet northern ride.*

Not as classy as the old one perhaps in that it doesn't have velcro closures at the cuffs/wrists, just a sort of elasticated puckering thing which maybe looks a bit naff - but I don't mind. It does pack smaller though.

Soon after I bought the £20 one above I had an opportunity to buy another identical one from Aldi for a tenner but stupidly let it pass. Learned my lesson this time, went back and bought a second one of the latest ones.

I do have two Gore tops but prefer cheaper things for lots of my rides - less worry about damage.

* It also survived a crash on that ride. Lucky I wasn't wearing the much praised Gore Shakedry (I don't have one - would never buy) on that ride - I would have been shaking the tears/tears off it.

Adam4868

Guru
Update for a panting @Adam4868

The other thing I bought - though report maybe too late apart from folks who can find remainders.

The waterproof top. £15.

My favourite general top before was a great thing I got from Aldi for £20 but I tore it a while ago on some barbed wire.

This one seems to be really comfortable, breaths well enough, kept me dry on a very wet northern ride.*

Not as classy as the old one perhaps in that it doesn't have velcro closures at the cuffs/wrists, just a sort of elasticated puckering thing which maybe looks a bit naff - but I don't mind. It does pack smaller though.

Soon after I bought the £20 one above I had an opportunity to buy another identical one from Aldi for a tenner but stupidly let it pass. Learned my lesson this time, went back and bought a second one of the latest ones.

I do have two Gore tops but prefer cheaper things for lots of my rides - less worry about damage.

* It also survived a crash on that ride. Lucky I wasn't wearing the much praised Gore Shakedry (I don't have one - would never buy) on that ride - I would have been shaking the tears/tears off it.
Pictures or it didn't happen.....there again how much excitement can I take for one day.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I picked up some waterproof trousers as I forgot mine and we are on a hiking holiday. They’ve been brilliant for £12 - my friends remarked on how bright the reflective strips are even in the sunshine!

Pictures or it didn't happen.....there again how much excitement can I take for one day.
Strangely I don't selfie/photograph my cycle and Vespa crashes.
Thanks for the concern.
It could very easily have been fatal.
But I repeat my recommendation of the jacket - check it out folks - a fair few Aldis sell "special" stuff a fair bit beyond the nominal date.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Might be something to do with Halloween or explain why it was such a bargain, but a couple of weeks after I bought my undershirt and just when I need it....it's disappeared. Have looked high and low. Highly suspicious and at the moment it doesn't seem like a bargain at all!

FrothNinja

Veteran
Just in case they do them again this year.
Aldi w'proof jacket works well but I found the cut a bit odd. Bit short for my arms but that could be because I usually wear XL waterproofs when walking and this time bought a L for cycling for the first time. The thing that is odd is that it is tight across my shoulders and rather loose over my ample gut - kinda expected the reverse.
The tool kit is quite good but missing a few useful tools required for classic bikes. The helmet cover works well enough on road lids but too weenie for my off road one.

carpiste

Guru
Just in case they do them again this year.
Aldi w'proof jacket works well but I found the cut a bit odd. Bit short for my arms but that could be because I usually wear XL waterproofs when walking and this time bought a L for cycling for the first time. The thing that is odd is that it is tight across my shoulders and rather loose over my ample gut - kinda expected the reverse.
The tool kit is quite good but missing a few useful tools required for classic bikes. The helmet cover works well enough on road lids but too weenie for my off road one.

So.... all in all pretty crappy

Top Bottom