All bikes should be fitted with lights!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chap

Veteran
This is more of a debate than a reaction to anything I have read. However, I have seen many people cycling through London at night with no lights on their bikes. Whilst this is generally OK on the long main streets, I seriously think this is an issue at junctions and at less lit up parts.

Therefore my proposal, for this debate, is that it is made law to stock all new bikes with pedal-powered lights. This could be a bike dynamo, or those magnetic lights. Battery powered lights should be available but at an explicitly stated premium where the pedal-powered alternative is also available.

Please discuss.

Davidc

Guru
I'd go along with that. Those flashing lights powered by a magnet on the wheel and a coil on the frame would do fine, with a hub dynamo as a more powerful alternative. I'd also be in favour of them being always on, day and night.

I always try to have working dynamo and battery lights on my bikes, although in summer the battery ones tend to get left off.

I think riding a bike after dark with no lights requires the same attitude to personal wellbeing as taking up smoking. "It won't happen to me and I don't care anyway".

Yes,
I totally agree with you, and think that we should follow Germany's shining example (pun intended) regarding Bicycle lights.

"Germany requires that all bikes over 11 kg are fitted with compliant dynamo lighting systems, but even lightweight bikes are required to be fitted with lights (battery powered lights allowed) except when racing"

However, after spotting two Norwich Police officers out on patrol on the city centres roads at about 10 pm last night on completely unlit Bicycles, how are they ever going to enforce the bicycle light laws?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't think it's a totally silly idea but would cost too much money to the consumer as manufacturers cash in.

If it was something like the £4 7 LED smart rear light and a slightly more expensive front one that'd be all right. Anything above that cost :laugh:. So maybe rears as for various understandable reasons they tend to be cheaper.

I don't see many unlit cyclists at all though, it's a bit like RLJing and the london lot getting all excitable.

Basically where do we start...

Firstly my commuting would not be possible with the magnetic lights as it is against the rules to take a flashing red light on to a train station or ferry

Secondly why should i accept these inferior products - my lights are bright, clear and rechargeable.

Finally battery life.... one of the problems with any decent light is battery life. To have the lights on full time would mean next time I tour carrying some 5 battery packs at £81 a throw and with a 6 hour charge cycle I would have to cary at least three chargers and get up in the middle of the night to change them over!

Not practicable for anyone who believes in being seen.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I think that in principle it's a good idea.

We want to be viewd as "proper traffic" but you can't buy a road car without headlights!
You obvoously need to be able to replace or disable the factory fitted" options but a couple of built-in LED's wouldn't be such a big deal to build into a bike surely?

snorri

Legendary Member
chap said:
This is more of a debate than a reaction to anything I have read. However, I have seen many people cycling through London at night with no lights on their bikes.
Please discuss.
It's outrageous :smile: ,these London cyclists are mollycoddled with all the streetlighting. In other parts of the UK, cyclists have to light up our own little worlds with lights they have bought themselves.:becool:

GrasB

Veteran
All new bikes should be supplied with a set of lights conforming to the relevant standards. Beyond that it's probably a good idea to supply lights with new bikes that are powered by the bikes motion.

Davidc, As for having lights on all the time, exactly what type of lights are you proposing? All the kite marked lights I've seen are effectively useless in daylight. Most lights are useful but not all that visible in day light & those that are are fairly expensive.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
chap said:
This is more of a debate than a reaction to anything I have read. However, I have seen many people cycling through London at night with no lights on their bikes. Whilst this is generally OK on the long main streets, I seriously think this is an issue at junctions and at less lit up parts.

Therefore my proposal, for this debate, is that it is made law to stock all new bikes with pedal-powered lights. This could be a bike dynamo, or those magnetic lights. Battery powered lights should be available but at an explicitly stated premium where the pedal-powered alternative is also available.

Please discuss.

what about all us racers who buy an expensive bike to be light and we never use them at night, what would be the point of putting lights on them then??

we spend alot of money making out bikes as light as possible just to have all of it wasted because lights have to be put on our bikes :smile:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Cunobelin said:
Firstly my commuting would not be possible with the magnetic lights as it is against the rules to take a flashing red light on to a train station or ferry

I've never been told I cant have a red flashing light on at the train station :becool: i always turn my lights on whilst at the station before setting off home.

If they were to be fitted to all bikes, imagine how good you brand new full carbon race bike would look with el cheepo lights fitted as standard :smile:

Cunobelin said:
Basically where do we start...

Secondly why should i accept these inferior products - my lights are bright, clear and rechargeable.

Finally battery life.... one of the problems with any decent light is battery life. To have the lights on full time would mean next time I tour carrying some 5 battery packs at £81 a throw and with a 6 hour charge cycle I would have to cary at least three chargers and get up in the middle of the night to change them over!

Not practicable for anyone who believes in being seen.

You could always just bin the lights taht came with the bike and buy your own though. I think the point of the thread is that a law that bikes were supplied with lights would mean that no one had an excuse to be riding around unlit, rather than forcing everyone to use crap lights.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
You could always take them off.

but adding items like lights onto bikes will make them more expensive as well so whats the point on putting them on high level bikes that wont need them?? i just dont get the point in it!!

MadoneRider1991 said:
but adding items like lights onto bikes will make them more expensive as well so whats the point on putting them on high level bikes that wont need them?? i just dont get the point in it!!

I can't see that sticking a five quid set of LED lights onto a two grand Trek is going to be a financial incentive for folk to take up a different hobby.:smile: But perhaps there could be an exception for bikes which are clearly intended for racing, in the same way that F1 cars aren't fitted with lights.

Top Bottom