All day in the saddle: suitable shorts for under £30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
It's been a few weeks since we had a "which shorts" thread....

I don't like bib shorts, and I don't like spending money on fashion items. I just want a pair of decent padded lycra shorts that will keep me relatively comfortable through an on-road 100 miler. No-one need tell me about not needing padding, or stuff like that. I'm just after recommendations for shorts to suit my needs.

Here's an offering from Decathlon, for instance. Anyone know anything of these?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
DHB are always good value for money

nickAKA

Über Member
I've bought a couple of pairs of shorts for use on the turbo, dhb & funkier.
The dhb ones were about £25, the funkier shorts were on offer at chain reaction last autumn down from £40 to about £9 (yeah right).
The dhb ones are much nicer to wear, a much thinner pad than the funkier ones but better fitting everywhere - so I'd go with dhb if I was buying some more, and there will be offers on now so a good time to buy.

I wouldn't like to do 100 miles in either pair tbh but that's just my subjective opinion.

The DHB shorts under £30 say "2 to 3 hours in the saddle", which might be more honest than other companies, but isn't good enough.
I think that's just a way of grading the pad. Your own individual tolerance and experience may well guide you to if it's the correct grading. Personally, I would and have ridden all day in the 2-3hr pad. Hard to really advise you on that one except to recount personal experience.

steverob

Guru
I use the 900 range of Decathlon shorts (got two pairs, plus one set of bib shorts from the same range) and haven't had any problems with them on 4-5 hour rides. Beyond that I start to get a sore bum, but I think I'd get that no matter what I was wearing!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The DHB shorts under £30 say "2 to 3 hours in the saddle", which might be more honest than other companies, but isn't good enough.

They last me all day and sometimes all day and all night on mega long rides.
It's all subjective.

Top Bottom