All riders-velodrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thats what I heard him say too Longers.
Certainly felt it. I was gaining on people (well the odd one) on the straights, went to go past on the bends and I'd stay exactly level due to being higher up on the blue line.

Definitely felt like 10-15m extra if you were on the blue compared to the bottom.

longers

Legendary Member
Right, you'll have to take Tony into a corner and explain how to him next time :cheers:

He was saying that the straights aren't any different in length depending on which line you take assuming you stay on the same one.
The two bankings could be described as two halves of a circle and if you increase the circumference of a circle by 1 metre the diameter increases by Pi. If red is 10 metres longer than black then you would expect it to be 3 and a bit metres away.

There's got to be a flaw in the logic somewhere :biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
longers said:
Right, you'll have to take Tony into a corner and explain how to him next time :sad:

He was saying that the straights aren't any different in length depending on which line you take assuming you stay on the same one.
That's correct

longers said:
The two bankings could be described as two halves of a circle and if you increase the circumference of a circle by 1 metre the diameter increases by Pi.
The difference in path length (as you say, we can roughly equate this to the circumference of the circle formed by the two ends as the straights are constant) between the first two lines is 10m, so...

Circumference = 2*Pi*radius

If we assume Pi to be 3.142 (close enough for this) then for every 1m that separates the lines on the track we have an extra 6.3m difference in path length.

As the ends are banked this will have some effect on the calculations though, as if they were 'flattened out' they wouldn't form a circle but more of an oval... this may account for the 'lost' 3.7m, or the two lines are slightly further than 1m apart

longers said:
If red is 10 metres longer than black then you would expect it to be 3 and a bit metres away.

There's got to be a flaw in the logic somewhere :biggrin:
I think it's more the Maths, not the logic (but then mine is probably woefully inaccurate!!). :biggrin:

Young Un

Although these photos have been highly antisipated, i am afraid that they are not very good, my Dad needs firing from the position on camera man:evil:

But here they are anyway:

These are videos by the way
th_MOV06124.jpg
th_MOV06125.jpg
th_MOV06126.jpg
th_MOV06127.jpg
th_MOV06132.jpg
th_MOV06139.jpg

These are photos:
DSC06128.jpg

DSC06129.jpg

DSC06130.jpg

DSC06131.jpg

DSC06133.jpg

DSC06134.jpg

DSC06135.jpg

DSC06136.jpg

DSC06137.jpg

DSC06138.jpg

DSC06141.jpg

DSC06142.jpg

DSC06143.jpg

RedBike

Great photos. Could we please have a name call for the group photo. As you can see. I haven't a clue who anyone is!

Top row.
? - Trio25 - Alison - ? - ? -? - ?

Bottom row
? - Band Bo - Redbike - ? - ? - Chris - ? - Youngun- Will - ?- ?- ?

longers

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
Great photos. Could we please have a name call for the group photo. As you can see. I haven't a clue who anyone is!

ok, usernames given where applicable for the bottom photo.

Top Row:

Frustuck, Trio, Alison, Lex holding his son Tor, mknash, me holding my niece Ruby, Colly.

Bottom Row:

Fossy, Dan Bo, RedBike, Comedy Pilot with his daughter, Cheadle Hulme, Landslide, Bokonon, Young Un, Will, Tony - Ruby's dad, Sharkyblokes other mate and Sharkybloke.

When we going again? :biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
Nice one Sh4rkyBloke - the trouble is, next time I'm going to want to go sub-18! One's own bike and slightly higher gearing should do the trick...

Dave5N

Über Member
Will1985 said:
Me!

That was a brilliant afternoon well spent, even if the weather was as good as we've had it all year!
Already started thinking about what track bike to get, and that the Midlands really should have an indoor velodrome.

Thanks to Young Un's dad for doing the driving.

Can't wait for the photos...

Plenty of quality tracks available in the Midlands...

:smile:

Top Bottom