All Seasons Emoto Electric BIke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
PS. Not really sure if this classes as an electric bike but it does have pedals :laugh:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I saw one in Glasgow a while ago, being used for fast food delivery. The rider was using a throttle, not pedalling, and wore a cycle helmet (unfastened). To be honest, the thing looked as if it would be very awkward to pedal, given the relative positions of the saddle and pedals. In that case he was riding a motorcycle and will sooner or later be nicked for various road traffic offences.

I think the author of the article is being quite misleading in making reference to a 'secret' switch under the saddle. Anyone following that hint will need the appropriate licence, insurance, vehicle registration, motorcycle helmet etc but he acts as if isn't the case. No warning that you have just changed the vehicle classification:

"So here’s a little secret I read on reviews written by users of the emoto scooters, under the seat there’s a small connector, disconnect that and suddenly you have a very different bike! You no longer need to pedal! You can also disconnect the pedals by the way. What you then have is a twist-throttle electric moped which requires no pedaling whatsoever."

shingwell

I have one of these, it is great.

It has a twist throttle AND pedals. If you peddle (ie feet going round, no pressure needed) you don't use the throttle at all, max speed under motor power 15mph. But you can also keep the pedals stationary and use the throttle, and this is where the "secret switch" comes in (actually on mine a connector joining two wires that you can disconnect). With the connector disconnected max throttle speed is again 15mph, with it connected it is slower. The third way you can use it is to put your feet up on the footboard once you are in motion, and the pedals will go round on their own, so you don't need to use the pedals or the throttle! (Cuts out when you brake!)

Although it is possible to pedal it, you wouldn't want to - you are not in a good pedalling position, there are no gears, and the thing weighs about 40kg. It is definitely pushing the boundaries of what a bicycle is, but none the worse for that IMO. I feel safer on it than on my push bike - it feels more solid, has mirrors, indicators, a brake light and great headlight, a horn, and full suspension and fat tyres for all the potholes around here. The brakes are better than anything I've ever experienced on a bike - the motor is used in reverse when possible so are very sharp and unaffected by wet, and the mechanical brakes when it needs them are enclosed drum brakes. It is not fast - I have been overtaken by a push bike cyclist before, but also catch up other cyclists occasionally, so about cycling average I suppose.

If you are a young fit cycling enthusiast with all the gear it probably would not interest you. But if you are like me, getting on a bit, have achy joints sometimes, just use a bike to get around locally, it is great for nipping to the local shops or station, and easily patked. I use ordinary cycle locks with it, althoigh it has a remote keyfob and alarm!

SYG

Hello,

I just bought one these, and I wonder if you have any suggestion for recovery/ insurance provider. The bike lost a pedal last week (now it is fixed) and I had to ask a friend to come to pick it up.

I looked on internet and the insurance for motorbike is asking for number plate and the bicycle one I don't have anywhere to specify the bike is BIG so it might not fit in a van if already half full.

Thanks in advance.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Hello,

I just bought one these, and I wonder if you have any suggestion for recovery/ insurance provider. The bike lost a pedal last week (now it is fixed) and I had to ask a friend to come to pick it up.

I looked on internet and the insurance for motorbike is asking for number plate and the bicycle one I don't have anywhere to specify the bike is BIG so it might not fit in a van if already half full.

Thanks in advance.

Seeing as it is not a legal motorbike and if you mess with the connector it is not legal as a bicycle, insurance is a moot point, unless you are concerned about theft in which case you could look at your house insurance and see if they cover you. Recovery wise, I would save some money for a big taxi or just push it home, after all you cannot go too far on it.

shingwell

Sorry to hear about your bad start...if it should happen again:eek: note that you can put your feet up on the footboard and get home with the throttle (slowly, unless you find the secret connector) - pedals not actually essential. It's a bit scrunched up to be comfortable for me, but do-able in an emergency.

For insurance I would just class it as an e-bicycle as that is what it is legally classed as, I too would look towards household policy.

Yes recovery would be a pain, it is heavy to lift. I had my first puncture the other day, fortunately some air from a local tyre place just about got me home.

D

Deleted member 26715

Way back in 1976 I had a Honda SS50 moped, for it to be classified as a moped it had to have pedals, it did but it was impossible to use them the gearing was so low. Also when riding you faced both pedals facing forward, the law changed & moped no longer needed pedals. The law so change again & electric scooters won't need them either.

shingwell

It would make sense, it can only go 15mph, when you are going flat-out and get overtaken bg a cyclist or a little petrol scooter whizzes by you realise how slow that is!

Greg88

Hey Everyone - I bought one of these for my mum last night. Ive disconnected this connector under the seat to make the throttle work when not peddling. Is there a speed limiter on this thing; as it seems to only go about 6kmh (3mph?) when on throttle. Her old one, did about 10mph on throttle without peddling and this has the same spec near enough.

Could it be that the battery is only 45% charged and will pick up some oompf when fully charged?

Greg88

I saw one in Glasgow a while ago, being used for fast food delivery. The rider was using a throttle, not pedalling, and wore a cycle helmet (unfastened). To be honest, the thing looked as if it would be very awkward to pedal, given the relative positions of the saddle and pedals. In that case he was riding a motorcycle and will sooner or later be nicked for various road traffic offences.

I think the author of the article is being quite misleading in making reference to a 'secret' switch under the saddle. Anyone following that hint will need the appropriate licence, insurance, vehicle registration, motorcycle helmet etc but he acts as if isn't the case. No warning that you have just changed the vehicle classification:

"So here’s a little secret I read on reviews written by users of the emoto scooters, under the seat there’s a small connector, disconnect that and suddenly you have a very different bike! You no longer need to pedal! You can also disconnect the pedals by the way. What you then have is a twist-throttle electric moped which requires no pedaling whatsoever."

Also - thats not strictly speaking the case; theres quite a few bikes on the market that have the option for battery powered only - As it has pedals, and can be pedal powered, i dont see how it would be against the law. No different to going down hill and not pedalling at all right? Its still limited to 15mph, still pedal powered, its just you can be a bit "lazy" and just use all the battery power.

D

Deleted member 26715

Also - thats not strictly speaking the case; theres quite a few bikes on the market that have the option for battery powered only
Just because they are on the market doesn't make them legal. Before you start to tell people they are wrong maybe you ought to check you are right.

Top Bottom