All that shouting on group rides, 'Car-Up, Car-Down' etc ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Is it just me or do others find this stuff annoying?

I think or amiable group of bimblers has been infiltrated by an increasingly vocal bunch of
cyclists, to the extent that the occasional warning regarding cars etc. is now an annoying continuous cacophony. Not happy with 'Car-Up' and 'Car-Down', the latest seems to be 'Car Passing' as well. Jeez.

Now warnings are fine, if they really are warning of something unexpected, but cars on the road and over-taking are not in the most part unexpected so to my mind we shouldn't have to announce every bloody car we come across. Sharp bends on narrow roads might be an exception for example.
Pothole warnings are fine.
Bollard warnings are fine if only for comedic value.

I am getting to the point that all this yelling is negatively impacting my enjoyment of group cycling.
What says the learned here before I put it to my fellow cyclists?

dodgy

Are the newcomers also fairly new to cycling?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You're with the wrong group? Thankfully the groups I ride with are pretty sensible. However sometimes newcomers are a little over enthusiastic! But I do agree that it's not needed to announce the presence of every vehicle on a major A road - what do you expect after all. Narrow twisting lanes are another matter, and if the 'car up' call has been made some time ago and the vehicle has hung back for some reason 'car coming through' can be helpful. Warning of horses ahead is always welcome.
BTW on most of our rides a 'NO pothole' call is more to the point ^_^.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Drives me nuts and certainly no need to shout CAR! at the top of their voices like demented crows for every car that passes.
If cyclists are 2 abreast then fair enough, a simple car behind, but at every car passing, no.

And don't get me started on cyclists in a group waving a car on to pass from behind. :cursing:

dodgy

Drives me nuts and certainly no need to shout CAR! at the top of their voices like demented crows for every car that passes.
If cyclists are 2 abreast then fair enough, a simple car behind, but at every car passing, no.

Exactly my experience of newcomers to cyclng. One says it, then they all go off and say it. Used to drive me mad, I ride solo these days.

I've only experienced this once, when I did a charity ride from Carlisle to Norwich. No shouting, but every time we passed a drain or degraded verge one of the riders would point at it. Every time. I can see it, I'm right behind you, I can see where I'm going. Stop pointing. Nice bloke, I mean he meant well but then so did Hitler.

jarlrmai

Veteran
To be honest I enjoy group rides but when the roads are a bit busy and have potholes it's way more stressful than riding on your own or with 1 or extra riders.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You're with the wrong group? Thankfully the groups I ride with are pretty sensible. However sometimes newcomers are a little over enthusiastic! But I do agree that it's not needed to announce the presence of every vehicle on a major A road - what do you expect after all. Narrow twisting lanes are another matter, and if the 'car up' call has been made some time ago and the vehicle has hung back for some reason 'car coming through' can be helpful. Warning of horses ahead is always welcome.
BTW on most of our rides a 'NO pothole' call is more to the point ^_^.
With the wrong group? It's my farkin' club!* Actually, I was one of the 5 founders .... so not mine really, but I feel I have some ownership :whistle:
I think it mostly comes from those who have been in one of the newer 'racing-style' clubs and are relative newcomers to cycling, but not exclusively.

Top Bottom