All these bad driver threads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcw

So if someone pulls out in front of my car when my 3 children are in it and im doing 60mph on a main road thats a non event, imho thats a bigger event than if someone does it when Im on my bike.

This is not a rant against helmet cams I just dont see the point. This is a forum for people to post views they dont have to all be the same.

I guess those with Cams feel they can make a difference by identifying bad drivers/ driving, I can't think of anyone else doing it. There aren't enough police to do it.

dondare

Über Member
We all know that bad driving happens and most of us let it go unless we are real victims. But supposing we didn't ever let it go? Perhaps we could rid the roads of bad drivers. A few Captain Cameras will have little effect, but if every cyclist, motorist and pedestrian made a concerted effort to identify the hooligan minority then we could banish them for good!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I think what has to be remembered is people generally drive because they need to not because they want to

Hmmm, not so sure about that. Take a look at http://www2.cege.ucl.ac.uk/cts/publications/publica/shtfact.pdf
For many, it's habit/ bone idleness. We all know of lard arse neighbours etc who drive a couple of hundred yards to the corner shop. One of my neighbours drives her two kids 150 yards to school. Another drives his dog to a quiet lane nearby then shoves his dog out of the car and holds the lead through his window and drive/ walks the wretched creature along the road! Take out all these trips and you've got yourself a cleaner, safer, quieter world!

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
[QUOTE 1132354"]
Face it - I've taken apart your OP in less then two pages.

You've gone from an OP with no real relevant point other then ''I don't see the point'' with respect to having a go or reporting drivers. Cherry picking one of my posts and finally your true motive being revealed as a rant at helmet cam wearers.

Here's a question for you:

If a driver drives in a manner which endangers you or other people and you don't take any action. Then what potential implications may this have on:-

a) You?

B) Other road users?

c) Society in general?

And if I do take any report it, do you think anyone will action it? My problem is not reporting it, it is wondering if reporting it makes any difference.

[/quote]

Show me the rant, I made a post in that post I said I don't see the point. I believe it antagonises the bad drivers. Other people have replied sensibly explained that they feel the reports they have made have made a difference other threads have shown the bad driving but none of them have said whether them recording it or reporting it have made a difference I hadn't seen anyone post that it had made a difference before, now they have so perhaps I am starting to see the point in it. Personally I dont mind if people wear them they certainly do me no harm I just never felt they done any good. Maybe Im pessimistic.

However rather than discuss my post in an adult manner you tried to ridicule it .

Unless someone risks my life then there will be no confrontation at all. Even in those situations there are only two outcomes, 1, they accept and apologise for their error in which case they may be more careful next time, or 2, they tell you to get lost and make up some reason as to why it was your fault, not theirs - in which case they will never learn from it unless the authorities are involved.

I believe that by being a positive, happy and patient\gratious rider, this does more to remind drivers that cyclists should not all be hated because some misbehave on the roads, than any form of confrontation ever could achieve.

Watching as an RLJ'er does their thing, making eye contact with a driver and shrugging or shaking the head goes some way to reinforce the fact that the mode of transport does not dictate the behaviour. Hopefully encouraging a bit more give and take in the future.

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
We all know that bad driving happens and most of us let it go unless we are real victims. But supposing we didn't ever let it go? Perhaps we could rid the roads of bad drivers. A few Captain Cameras will have little effect, but if every cyclist, motorist and pedestrian made a concerted effort to identify the hooligan minority then we could banish them for good!

Thats my point.

I nwver stated anywhere I was against cameras, nor was it a rant against cameras.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Do any of you think you have made any difference to the overall standard of driving by reporting things? or getting upset?

I just get on with it whether im in the car or on my bike. Id say im a good driver btw I dont tend to rush about before someone accuses of being one of these bad drivers.
tongue.gif
Conversely, do you think that any change will come about by not doing anything at all? One of the options has at least some possibility of instigating change...

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
Conversely, do you think that any change will come about by not doing anything at all? One of the options has at least some possibility of instigating change...

Accepted, Im just pessimistic by nature.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I guess those with Cams feel they can make a difference by identifying bad drivers/ driving, I can't think of anyone else doing it. There aren't enough police to do it.

In an ideal world, it would be a case of self policing.

People would realise that they pose a danger to others when they have the larger, faster vehicle and take appropriate care. They'd read the road ahead properly, anticipate hazards, not use mobile phones or read books (I've seen this, only once, but still).

The problem is that for whatever reason, the car is a "necessity" whatever the length of journey, and some drivers have a profound sense of entitlement to the Highway and making progress (futile or otherwise) that makes them a risk to others. At least the helmet camera cyclist is doing something about this.

And +1 for positive reinforcement (out of simple good manners, if nothing else). Drivers on my route have always received a wave for letting me out, waiting for me to pass pinch points, overtaking safely &c.

karan733

I was passed mightly close by some tw*t earlier today, shouted and screamed at him, and the next 4 cars that passed me who saw the whole thing drove like model motorists. I think thats progress myself. If I could have video'd it, and posted it up on youtube, maybe more than just 4 people would see how not to pass a cyclist.

martint235

Dog on a bike
One of my neighbours drives her two kids 150 yards to school. Another drives his dog to a quiet lane nearby then shoves his dog out of the car and holds the lead through his window and drive/ walks the wretched creature along the road!

I don't doubt for a moment that what you say is true but those two examples are truly shocking. The dog guy shouldn't be allowed to keep a pet and as for the mother... I pity the poor kids, unless their diet is fantastic or they have hamster wheels at home they are just building up future problems.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Do any of you think you have made any difference to the overall standard of driving by reporting things? or getting upset?

Yes.

Well, it depends what you mean by "the overall standard of driving". I don't think any one of us could improve "the overall standard of driving" in the UK.

Locally? Yes. Here's why I think that.

Near my home is a bus garage. Perhaps 10% of the traffic I encounter on my way to work is buses from that garage setting out or coming back or delivering kids to the schools nearby. A noticeable change, because the garage has only been there a couple of years. Most of the driving's OK, but the bus drivers would take chances from time to time. We bought a camera mainly to use on trips into town, where some very dodgy driving occurs.

A few months ago, one of the bus drivers seemed to have a senior moment at high speed. I sent the video to the owner of the company. There was no dialogue, but the drivers have been absolutely exemplary ever since - not only towards me, but to other cyclists who have mentioned it, unprompted, to me.

I think giving the bus company owner the opportunity to see what it's like when a bus passes close at high speed made a difference. Positive reinforcement by also showing him what it's like when the bus driver makes the minimal effort to use the full width of the road, or exercises a modicum of patience, has almost certainly helped too.

So, the "overall standard of driving" on my route to work has definitely improved from using a camera.

On a busier route, pointing out one driver's misdeeds, or even improving behaviour from one group of users, might not make such a noticeable difference, I'll grant you. But if you do nothing, nothing will change.

As I think the Cat in the Hat once said, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Twiggy

I think what has to be remembered is people generally drive because they need to not because they want to (like cyclists) due to this they are stuck in traffic jams they dont want to be in, the whole point of cars is a-b as fast as you can, and it is faster than public transport (in Glasgow) I dont see the point in antagonising them further if a driver passes to close and does not blow me about or skiff me then I wont bother or report them or put their reg no on you tube, I think you are inviting yourself into bother with this and the camera aint much good if it gets whipped off your head and smashed.

I'm sorry, what is that?
Cycling is a choice and driving isnt?

Had your reg put on youtube recently? Or was it a while back and you've only just found out?

No, I'm sorry, I'm sure you are a kind and safe driver, and always give everyone plenty of space. But your arguments are so full of holes it's painful to read.
Cycling for some of us is not a choice, I know it isn't a matter of choice for me. I either cycle, walk, take the bus, or occasionally take the train. Given the recent rise in fairs, I can't actually afford to take the bus or the train with any regularity, so that leaves a choice for me, of either cycling, or walking.

On top of that, I often travel further than is feasible to walk in a reasonable space of time. or maybe even not reasonable to walk in a day. So that leaves me with cycling...

I don't have a choice when it comes to cycling, either I cycle, or I don't get where I'm going.
I don't drive, I don't own a car, and have never lernt to drive.

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
Yes.

Well, it depends what you mean by "the overall standard of driving". I don't think any one of us could improve "the overall standard of driving" in the UK.

Locally? Yes. Here's why I think that.

Near my home is a bus garage. Perhaps 10% of the traffic I encounter on my way to work is buses from that garage setting out or coming back or delivering kids to the schools nearby. A noticeable change, because the garage has only been there a couple of years. Most of the driving's OK, but the bus drivers would take chances from time to time. We bought a camera mainly to use on trips into town, where some very dodgy driving occurs.

A few months ago, one of the bus drivers seemed to have a senior moment at high speed. I sent the video to the owner of the company. There was no dialogue, but the drivers have been absolutely exemplary ever since - not only towards me, but to other cyclists who have mentioned it, unprompted, to me.

People are posting on this thread where they think differences have been made, I also just saw a thread where magnatom had a pa and manager visit him to apologise. This is the results I had not seen i had seen where people were reporting bad driving but nowhere had I seen the results of these reports, this is the reason I posted this thread not as User3143 thinks just to rant about helmet cams.
Is that potholes on that road? That may be the worst road I have ever seen,

Top Bottom