All these bad driver threads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavieB

MIA
I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and I agree with a lot of the comments on it but some of the stuff against drivers is over the top.

I have drove every day for the last 13 years in those years I have had 2 accidents one was someone running into the back of me and the other was a motorbike undertaking at a junction(it was eventually put down as a 50-50)

In these years people have cut me up pulled out in front of me at junctions causing me to emergency stop, came at me on the wrong side of the road when overtaking other cars, drove right up my bumper, overtook too close almost hitting mirrors and yes at the time I have had a weeshout and moan perhaps a w*****r sign even window down and almost a square go (I even had some idiot try to drive into my car after that particular set to) The only tie I get really angry with this stuff is when my children are in the car. People driving badly can kill a whole family. But I have never felt the need to attach a camera to my car to get all these people into trouble I have never shouted through someones window to tell them to get off their phone, I dont try to cause myself bother.

On my bike generally people pass me with plenty space, even when people have passed in the zone that you would call too close in trucks or buses at 60mph I have not been caught in any draughts and have not felt the need to shout at anyone.

I think what has to be remembered is people generally drive because they need to not because they want to (like cyclists) due to this they are stuck in traffic jams they dont want to be in, the whole point of cars is a-b as fast as you can, and it is faster than public transport (in Glasgow) I dont see the point in antagonising them further if a driver passes to close and does not blow me about or skiff me then I wont bother or report them or put their reg no on you tube, I think you are inviting yourself into bother with this and the camera aint much good if it gets whipped off your head and smashed.

Hopefully a voice of reason and not just seen as a "driver"

Jezston

Über Member
All fair points, just remember all those 'orrible things that bad drivers do when you're in your car - if they did them to you when you were on your bike you would be at WAY more at risk of being seriously hurt or killed. Also, it's easier to verbally or physically retaliate when you haven't got a box surrounding you preventing you from doing so.

As with you, I find 99.9% of other drivers to be courteous and considerate when driving around me. It's just that 0.1% who decide to put my life in danger in an often incorrect attempt at marginally increasing their convenience that frustrate me. Combine this with widespread negative attitudes from the media and from vocal individuals towards cyclists and it makes many of us want to become more active about wanting change.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think what has to be remembered is people generally drive because they need to not because they want to (like cyclists) due to this they are stuck in traffic jams they dont want to be in, the whole point of cars is a-b as fast as you can, and it is faster than public transport (in Glasgow)

So? Doesn't give them any right to endanger other people, especially when the gains are generally so tiny. (In the city, it's rare that delaying an overtake until it's safe to make loses the driver any journey time - there's always more traffic ahead, or lights...)
I dont see the point in antagonising them further if a driver passes to close and does not blow me about or skiff me then I wont bother or report them
Agreed, although when you've been a sidewind's gust away from being under someone's wheels it can be hard to keep your cool, no?
...I think you are inviting yourself into bother with this and the camera aint much good if it gets whipped off your head and smashed.
So the voice of reason is saying "Keep quiet, or you're inviting a physical assault or worse?"

Our priorities in the UK are evidently pretty messed up.

marcw

The thing to keep in mind is that a accident between a bike and car has a high chance of being fatal, not the same as having someone hit you at 15mph and have an air bag go off and a panel to replace/ knock out. If videos get sent to the police and they deam the driving to be reckless, I don't have a problem with that.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I agree with Jezston, it's the feeling of vulnerability on a bike.

If an overtake doesn't create some wash then, particularly in London, I'd consider that a good overtake. Unfortunately there are the other kind, (search LX03VKB on youtube for this morning's example) where the driver is just way too close. Now I don't see this as me using my camera to get a driver into trouble, I see this as a driver getting himself into trouble by behaving in an extremely reckless manner.

dondare

Über Member
Perhaps if good drivers did always have a go when they witnessed bad driving: filmed it, reported it, shopped speeders and rljers and mobile phonies and the unlicenced, untaxed and uninsured; then the roads would be much safer for everyone. So stop being tolerant of illegal and dangerous behaviour and do your public duty, for all our sakes!

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
Do any of you think you have made any difference to the overall standard of driving by reporting things? or getting upset?

I just get on with it whether im in the car or on my bike. Id say im a good driver btw I dont tend to rush about before someone accuses of being one of these bad drivers.
tongue.gif

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
[QUOTE 1132341"]
It has to be said that the OP is imo completely irrelevant. Comparing close overtakes, people pulling out on you etc in a car to a bike is a non event.

I agree with you in respect to when you are out riding you don't have many problems and the majority of drivers are o.k because that is the same as me.

All the other stuff you simply cannot compare and it sounds like a wee bit of a rant at cyclists who wear helmet cams.
[/quote]

So if someone pulls out in front of my car when my 3 children are in it and im doing 60mph on a main road thats a non event, imho thats a bigger event than if someone does it when Im on my bike.

This is not a rant against helmet cams I just dont see the point. This is a forum for people to post views they dont have to all be the same.

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
[QUOTE 1132343"]
If you was a good driver then you would have checked and seen the mbike undertaking you....but that's a different matter.

The first part of your post is pre-conventional clap trap.
[/quote]

Wasnt undertaking me! So dont assume

martint235

Dog on a bike
Do any of you think you have made any difference to the overall standard of driving by reporting things? or getting upset?

I just get on with it whether im in the car or on my bike. Id say im a good driver btw I dont tend to rush about before someone accuses of being one of these bad drivers.
tongue.gif

I don't know whether I've improved the overall standard but as I commute at the same times every day (as do a lot of people) I would hope that those people who have received notice of their behaviour have modified it accordingly. That would then mean that the period that I'm out on the road is that little bit safer for me and others around me.

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
[QUOTE 1132347"]
<Sigh> the Author knows that he should do what Shirley Valentine did and talk to a wall as he would probably get more sense from those bricks & mortar.
[/quote]

Is this the bit where it becomes pointless for me to reply? <sigh>

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Something that can make a difference, and I've seen examples on here, is positive reinforcement. I know Mikey has contacted firms to compliment a driver, I have and there are a few others. There's also quite a few of us that smile and wave at drivers, make eye contact and generally try to make their actions feel appreciated, even if they're only doing what they should. It quickly becomes second nature and I've seen immediate benefits. For example, I used to find I could have problems when a vehicle was really patient about overtaking me. The following vehicles could often get impatient and give less room and cut back in sharply. Since I started using a wave of thanks to the first driver my impression has been that it's seen by others behind and seems to cool them down.

When I started riding I got quite uptight and had a few confrontations, but it was having a negative impact on me and I was struggling to see the good. I enjoy my riding much more by taking a more relaxed attitude, I did the same when I commuted by car.

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
I don't know whether I've improved the overall standard but as I commute at the same times every day (as do a lot of people) I would hope that those people who have received notice of their behaviour have modified it accordingly. That would then mean that the period that I'm out on the road is that little bit safer for me and others around me.

If you feel you make a difference even to the time you are riding then it is worth it.

Once I have been cycling into work for another few months my tune might change, after I have seen more near misses etc. at the moment I have not seen many.

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
Something that can make a difference, and I've seen examples on here, is positive reinforcement. I know Mikey has contacted firms to compliment a driver, I have and there are a few others. There's also quite a few of us that smile and wave at drivers, make eye contact and generally try to make their actions feel appreciated, even if they're only doing what they should. It quickly becomes second nature and I've seen immediate benefits. For example, I used to find I could have problems when a vehicle was really patient about overtaking me. The following vehicles could often get impatient and give less room and cut back in sharply. Since I started using a wave of thanks to the first driver my impression has been that it's seen by others behind and seems to cool them down.

When I started riding I got quite uptight and had a few confrontations, but it was having a negative impact on me and I was struggling to see the good. I enjoy my riding much more by taking a more relaxed attitude, I did the same when I commuted by car.

I give a wee hand signal or a nod when a driver does give me plenty space or allows me to get through islands or lane change etc. I find I notice a lot of things more when I am cycling and perhaps all drivers should spend a couple of weeks on the saddle to see it from our view.

Top Bottom