Allen Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Farky

Farky

02GF74 said:
confused.

head set is tightened using 2 large think nuts with quilll type stem - the stem would have an allen bolt into a wedge to hold it in place in the steerer.

an a-headset head set would have allen bolt but these do not need to be tightened very much = either you over did it, or have poor quality bolt -
the headset in this case is held in place by the stem, two bolts usually.

I am assumming the latter.

I sincerely apologise for confusing you...

Those of you who are more intelligent than me (and others) and understood what I meant, thank you, some great tips listed in the thread!!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Just forcing a slightly larger allen key in there will often work. The tip about tightening the other bolt first is a very good one.

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

rogerzilla said:
The tip about tightening the other bolt first is a very good one.

I did that with the flat driver and it worked a treat, thanks very much!!

p.s. I've also invested in some new 'hex keys'!

C

chillyuk

I did that once. As I had a few mm of bolt head showing I just welded a nut on it and used a spanner to remove it. The whole job took about 5 minutes.

Eddy_Mc

I take allen bolts out a little differently to people here :rolleyes:, no gluing cutting and drilling involved.

Get a small hole punch, on the top rim of the bolt make an indentation with the hole punch. I spray an oil spray or other such lubricating item into the sides of the bolt and wait a few minutes.

Then using the indentation in the top of the bolt, slowly and lightly start tapping the hole punch with a hammer in the direction needed to release the bolt. 9 times out of 10 unless it has seized or you have hung on the allen wrench(in which case stay away from the bike with tools :wacko: ) it will slowly come out.

Mr Pig

Eddy_Mc said:
start tapping the hole punch with a hammer in the direction needed to release the bolt.

That doesn't work brilliantly on very small fasteners though, like a lot of the ones on a bike. You can use a chisel on the outside edge in the same way.

Top Bottom