Allen/Hex Key Set Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've decided to buy a set of "professional" Allen/hex keys. By professional I mean those with a handle one can grip and with a long stemmed key and a much shorter one coming out of the side of the handle. I'm an every day user not someone who is heavily into DIY bike mechanics, we are talking general tightening, loosening of seat clamps, posts, bottle cages etc. I want these because the 3, 4, 5mm sizes on my current "L" shaped set are worn out (rounded) and I feel a professional set will give me easier access/work etc.

Clearly Park Tool will be very good quality but I am struggling with the idea of paying £80-110 for a set. Any recommendations on other manufacturers? If there are no good alternatives I'll probably buy just 3, 4, 5mm from Park.

Thank you

I do find this quite useful

https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-key

4,5,6 mm.

gcogger

The Halfords Advanced tools have an excellent reputation in general, so I took a gamble and bought the hex key set at £26. They seem decent so far, and have a lifetime warranty.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've decided to buy a set of "professional" Allen/hex keys. By professional I mean those with a handle one can grip and with a long stemmed key and a much shorter one coming out of the side of the handle. I'm an every day user not someone who is heavily into DIY bike mechanics, we are talking general tightening, loosening of seat clamps, posts, bottle cages etc. I want these because the 3, 4, 5mm sizes on my current "L" shaped set are worn out (rounded) and I feel a professional set will give me easier access/work etc.

Clearly Park Tool will be very good quality but I am struggling with the idea of paying £80-110 for a set. Any recommendations on other manufacturers? If there are no good alternatives I'll probably buy just 3, 4, 5mm from Park.

Thank you

I have a set of these Facom ones. Price was a bit buttock-clenching but they are excellent and they make every job easier. May or may not be worth it for what they are, but defo worth it for what they do.

https://www.primetools.co.uk/product/facom-84tc-j8-8-pce-t-handled-hexagon-key-set-2-10mm/

There may be a slightly cheaper set without the 10mm, which you won't need for the bike, but nevertheless, highly recommended.

As an aside, I'm not convinced by Park tools for "mainstream" items like spanners, pliers, cutters., etc, fair enough for bike specific tools

midlife

Guru
Years ago I bought Halfords Professional tools, still got them and going strong. Have the Advanced range taken over from the Professional range?

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My first choice would be Halfords but have a look at eBay it’s not all c**p
[EDIT] I agree with @Profpointy comments on Park tools , if I really wanted to spend lots of money on spanners and pliers etc , my first choice would be Snap on .

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
I use allen keys at work all the time, so spend a bit more on them, but nothing like £70 a set!
For normal allen keys I use Wiha ergo stars. They are just a normal L wrench with the ball at the end for angled stuff. They also have a seal on that end, so they do not slip out of the head when in use. They have stood up to a lot of abuse and are a good fit in the heads of bolts/screws, so less likely to round the head off.
I have a set of T bar allen keys that were only about £10 a set off ebay. Again, they are a decent fit in the head and of a decent quality, hardened steel so they do not round the heads of bolts. To be honest, I rarely use the T bar ones, the "normal" Wiha L wrench do the job just as well, if not better in most situations.

Top Bottom