Allez vs Secteur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveW

Just realized that despite getting a quote for a Secteur sport for my work scheme I actually have free choice of how I spend the £1000 voucher. As a beginner road cyclist with a goal to join a 250 odd mile ride over 3 days in September the shop assistant recomended the Secteur Sport or Elite. I am unlikely to do the 25 miles to work by bike so the bike is purely for leisure/fitness rather than regular commuting. I also doubt I'll make a habit of 80 mile day rides except for this annual charity ride, 30 to 40 mile rides at weekends are about the norm for the guys I will ride with. They all have fancy carbon bikes (all more senior and considerably richer than me!) and today were challenging the shop assistants advice to me and suggested I get a sportier bike. So now I'm debating getting the Allez Elite which the shop has for £800 currently. The shop also had a very light Bianchi for £900. I'm quite confused now to ge honest! Is the Allez much different/sportier than the Secteur? Voucher should arrive in next few days so I need to decide and I am committed to this shop.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought a Secteur Elite as my first road bike a little over a year ago. I chose it over the Allez because it's supposed to have a more relaxed riding position and had a triple chainring. I'm pretty ancient and went for comfort rather than sportiness because I didn't know if drop bars etc would suit me. Try and get a long test ride on both bikes. Good luck anyway.

Norm

I bought a Secteur Elite as my first road bike a little over a year ago. I chose it over the Allez because it's supposed to have a more relaxed riding position and had a triple chainring. I'm pretty ancient and went for comfort rather than sportiness because I didn't know if drop bars etc would suit me. Try and get a long test ride on both bikes. Good luck anyway.
Pretty much this for me too. Love the Secteur, very comfortable over time and distance.

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
I'm not saying if I'm fat or old but I'm going for the secteur elite! Very close to my roubaix, ridiculously comfortable.
Plus the secteur is much better looking :smile:

OP
OP
D

DaveW

I'm 41 and starting to fatten up but still Ok (5 foot 8, 77kgs). I became convinced from one review that the Secteur is a heavy bike but I found the weights tonight and realize this is not true. The Secteur Elite is 9.38kg, marginally lighter than the Allez Elite at 9.4kgs so not an issue. Will probably still go for Secteur Elite I expect and ignore the carbon race boys at work.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oi, Secteur Comp for me and I'm not old or fat ... just hopeless.
Count your blessings mate.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

DaveW

Went for the 2012 Secteur Elite in the end as they ended the sale price on the sport meaning it went back to £800 but kept it running a bit longer on the Elite at £900 rather than £1000. So for £100 more decided Elite was worth it to get Tiagra rather than Sora. Unfortunately I'm off on hols now so wont get to ride it for another couple of weeks!

doctornige

Right choice. I have the Allez Elite, but my cycling is sporty, fast runs in the middle of the day, and longer rides at the weekend with a focus on sport riding. The Allez is perfect for that, but it jars a fair bit and it a tad twitchy. Your Secteur will be great for the purpose you have set for it.

A mate has just got the Secteur Elite with the aim of riding a bit with me. We will see who has the sorest arse at the end!

Top Bottom