Alloy v carbon difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
For those of you that have alloy bikes and then changed to carbon bikes . What did differences did you notice straight away . As in ride feel and things .
Just asking as I'm going for a carbon bike next . Many thanks

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
So much depends on tube profiles, set up , geometry etc
You can have hard and soft frames in both

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For me i went from alloy to carbon in the same brandand yes the carbon was lighter and a bit more comfy but i always knew the alloy bike was a stiff bruiser.Nowdays with so much built in things like the trek domane and spesh roubaix the lines are so blurred .

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
I suppose ile have to just ride a carbon to find out then .

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's a guy on the Cyclist track day video who flew over from Dublin. If you take bike choice seriously enough it's a valuable and enjoyable day out riding top of the range bikes. I bought my hooligan bike after being blown away by it at the first track day.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's a guy on the Cyclist track day video who flew over from Dublin. If you take bike choice seriously enough it's a valuable and enjoyable day out riding top of the range bikes. I bought my hooligan bike after being blown away by it at the first track day.
I don't think the OP is looking at 'top of the range', was looking a thing Ribble from another thread...£1500 budget IIRC

It's far better to ride bikes you are actually interested in / able to buy imo. It's a bit like tyre kicking a super car when you're looking for a family hatch

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
There's a massive difference in alloy frames. My alloy Felt is much more forgiving than previous alloy bikes I have owned.

No reason not to have a carbon frame but I think the tyres have more affect on the ride than the frame material

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Must be a lot to do with the construction. A Forme I used to own felt decidedly harsh but a Cube Peloton in the same price range rides much nicer. I think my carbon bikes are smoother again, but maybe just trying to justify spending more pennies! :laugh:

Top Bottom